Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: PKAS-- Premature Kettle Acquisition Syndrome  (Read 4270 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
PKAS-- Premature Kettle Acquisition Syndrome
« on: November 18, 2014, 03:56:46 PM »
Last week I got an invitation to a friend's 30th birthday party, just one week later.  I immediately realized that he was half-heartedly looking for a kettle, and grumbled to myself that I needed more time to find one for cheap and clean it up in time for the party.  That would have made a funny and thoughtful surprise.  Bummer.

Well wouldn't you know it that two days later I drove up to my house and noticed a black 18 sitting on the curb a couple doors down.  I cheered, then celebrated with my kids for a second before I parked and ran down to pick it up.  A three-wheeler(and in pretty good shape) with wood handles, along with an off-brand chimney and also a little bit of k-comp.  It even had some lighter fluid, which I planned to use sometime as a tribute to @Jeff  and @Craig .  Perfect.  I took it home and sprayed down the stuck vents with some PB Blaster and figured I'd get back to it in a day or two.

The next day a notice went out on the neighborhood email listserve:  apparently, someone left their beloved kettle sitting by the street.  They had unloaded it from their car, then gotten occupied with some yardwork before they returned to put it away.  And someone must have snatched it in the meantime.  They weren't mad about it, and said they understood why someone would have thought it was being given away.  But they were hoping to get it back.

A bit awkward for me, since the folks know me and my obsession with all things Weber.  What to do?  I couldn't just bring it back, or all of their meals forevermore would taste like PB Blaster.  So I got out the razor blade and scraped down the inside, then attacked the whole thing with soap and steel wool.  Didn't get it perfect, but I got the vents to turn a bit, replaced a missing wheel cap, and got the grungy triangle nice and shiny.  Got the top vent glossy just as @MartyG  would want it.  It looked pretty good! 

So I took it back to apologize, and the funny thing was that the homeowner didn't even seem surprised... either she noodled it out previously or she saw it sitting in my driveway earlier that day.  I apologized to her, and she apologized right back for the confusion.  And she thanked me for cleaning it up.  I guess next time I'll check my assumptions before carting off a kettle... at least in my own neighborhood. 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: PKAS-- Premature Kettle Acquisition Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
Least ya didn't get a "STOP THIEF !!!!"  group of people following you down the street !!!!

Was neighborly of you to clean it up for them...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
That's hilarious.   

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
Hey Mike,
I have a few kettles that need some cleaning still...comon by, I'll leave them in my driveway for you to pick up! 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Well at least it didn't end up where you got into trouble over the confusion. It was awesome of you to clean it up for her.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
Least ya didn't get a "STOP THIEF !!!!"  group of people following you down the street !!!

Or shot!

I'm sorry, but unless it had a free curb alert sign on it I would have left it. Glad your neighbor was amused.

I have a co-worker that held a gun on a "scrapper" that had trolled down his alley and helped himself to a couple of his pits that were near his garbage cans. Apparently there is an unwritten code among said scrappers that anything you leave on your property near your trash is fair game? The guy had them loaded on his truck and refused to put them back when confronted so Richard pulled his gun on him until the cops arrived. Scrapper arrested for outstanding warrants and Richard was cited for "Reckless Endangerment" for that act protecting his property-still fighting that!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
Least ya didn't get a "STOP THIEF !!!!"  group of people following you down the street !!!

Or shot!

I'm sorry, but unless it had a free curb alert sign on it I would have left it. Glad your neighbor was amused.

I have a co-worker that held a gun on a "scrapper" that had trolled down his alley and helped himself to a couple of his pits that were near his garbage cans. Apparently there is an unwritten code among said scrappers that anything you leave on your property near your trash is fair game? The guy had them loaded on his truck and refused to put them back when confronted so Richard pulled his gun on him until the cops arrived. Scrapper arrested for outstanding warrants and Richard was cited for "Reckless Endangerment" for that act protecting his property-still fighting that!

Can't quote the case law, but it's been held that things left out for trash are fair game.  Basically, it's considered abandoned.   Of course, like everything else in life, there are grey areas. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »
Yeah, I did deliberate for a moment, because it seemed like it might have been left there for a minute.  But then OTOH it looked exactly like someone who just got a gas grill and was giving up all of the charcoal gear.  Plus it was kinda sitting between two houses so less clear as to whose it might have been.  I guess my perceived sense of kettle karma got the best of me and I just carried it off.
One of the charcoal people.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 05:31:02 PM »

Or shot!

Can't quote the case law, but it's been held that things left out for trash are fair game.  Basically, it's considered abandoned.   Of course, like everything else in life, there are grey areas.

To be more clear, this instance the gray area was Richards designated BBQ area, the scrapper/thief went through a gated fence, onto Richards property and removed his pits that were in an area near his trash receptacles, not leaning against them or looking abandoned.

I always feel uncomfortable picking up free craigslist curb alerts, I'll print a copy of the post to avoid any hassles.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
Lol... Mike , I would of grabbed it too
If it's on the curb its fair game in my book
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »
in the midwest, its fair game if its at the curb or at the end of the driveway.

i once had a scrapper try to take stuff while I was cleaning my garage. I had emptied my garage and things were in the middle of my driveway (more than a car length from the street)

funny story mike. glad no one is offended (or at least showing that they're offended)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 06:23:48 PM »

Or shot!

To be more clear, this instance the gray area was Richards designated BBQ area, the scrapper/thief went through a gated fence, onto Richards property and removed his pits that were in an area near his trash receptacles, not leaning against them or looking abandoned.

I always feel uncomfortable picking up free craigslist curb alerts, I'll print a copy of the post to avoid any hassles.

Wow, no gray area there at all.    I was picturing them sitting behind his garage in the alleyway.  Can't believe that your friend got in trouble over this.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:13:54 PM »
note to self.

place gal on the curb when arriving home.  use pic of her with mbh red kettle. 

post ad on craigs, "she's on curb".

begin to mix corn bread.   
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
Great story. Funny I would have grabbed it too. Grill on the curb must mean free.
A Wonderful Family!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
Neat story Mike. Your neighborhood has an email listserve? That's so old skool--I like it; simple and effective. We can't even get anyone to look at our HOA's neighborhood website.

Today I passed by a sat dish out by someone's trash. Remembered the thread here about the dish used as a heat shield for a WSM, wheels bolted onto the bottom. Mine needs exactly that, a heat shield and wheels. Presumably if it's still there tomorrow "it's mine."

also about to mix cornbread
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch