Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Renewed appreciation for the Char-baskets  (Read 2198 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Renewed appreciation for the Char-baskets
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
So, I did a couple cooks on the 18" Red "G" indirect using the charcoal rails and briqs banked against the bowl.

Noticed the kettle color getting darker. I'm aware of the bowls of my 22" Reds doing this but was surprised by the change on the 18"!

It was getting dark (4:30 PM @#*%! Daylight Savings Time) and the bowl was almost Black, done cooking I shut down the vents. and this is what I woke up to-

just sayin!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Renewed appreciation for the Char-baskets
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »
sorry for your loss!

that being said, this is why I won't even assemble my kettle pizza until I can find a cheap black 22 that will only see duty as a pizza cooker. I know it doesn't happen often, but I'd hate to ruin buddy, melt the bale rollers on my performer or damage a color kettle just to cook some pies.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
sorry for your loss!

that being said, this is why I won't even assemble my kettle pizza until I can find a cheap black 22 that will only see duty as a pizza cooker. I know it doesn't happen often, but I'd hate to ruin buddy, melt the bale rollers on my performer or damage a color kettle just to cook some pies.

I hear that! If you were in my area, I'd hook ya up!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
DANG. that sucks man :(

paint that spot and stick the porcelain chip onto the wet paint. maybe it'll hold :)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:36 PM »
That grill musta been a vegetarian in another life... Booo..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
Ouch!! Sorry to see that. :(

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:34 PM »
Very interesting! I'd read (here) that high heat can damage the "colored" kettles but never realized an ENTIRE CHIP OF PAINT could eject itself. That explains a lot of pictures I've seen of kettles without dents that lack complete paint.

Maybe I need to rethink what I've been putting my own redhead through.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch