Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: secondary chimney lighting choices?  (Read 5944 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
secondary chimney lighting choices?
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
I pull my 18.5" over to light a second chimney. I've use my SJ for this as well sometimes. Toying with the idea of looking out for an older gasser primarily for this function and for when I get lazy ...

I'm also wondering about the possibility of employing a sidecar-like burner like some of the gassers have, to my Performer, and with a diverter valve of some kind to run it.

Places to put hot chimneys and grates while doing stuff is also a need since I'm grilling on my plasticized deck (like Trex, but another brand.)

In other words the "first chimney" is easy, I just use the Performer to light it. But some things, like the pizzas I'm doing right now out in 35 degree weather, need HEAT.

Looking for ideas.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: secondary chimney lighting choices?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »
more info re: Places to put hot chimneys and grates while doing stuff is also a need since I'm grilling on my plasticized deck (like Trex, but another brand.)

I gave a "Grillzebo" with extra hooks I can hang hot chimneys and sometimes hot grates. My Gourmet System grate is my only working 22.5" grate and can't be hung without dumping the center section out and ruining the deck boards ...
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
This might be a strech, but I use an old stainless full size hotel pan.......

bolted to a stand.............

Works really good & is just a little taller than a kettle for easy 'dump factor'........

Maybe for a quick fix, just get some concrete thin block & make a small pad to set things on.....I think MacEggs does something like that.....he's got a little build-up type thing & I've seen others do that also......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
another kettle. 

i have an old 22 we use for a fire pit just off the patio.  it's my catch all for any extra stuff or just a parts holding area.  works great for lighting up a second batch of coals or pretty much anything i don't want to set on the ground. 

highly recommend an old MBH blackie for the job. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »
Dutch Oven Table

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
My kettle is next to my gasser. I use the gasser to store the hot chimney after dumping. I've used it to light the chimney too (starter cube on cooking grate). Same principle as a second kettle.

I have an extra SJ that I've used as a lighting platform too.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:49:13 PM »
Get a couple more of these things..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »
How about an SJ.   Do you have an SJ?   Just use that when you need the extra chimney space.

If you don't have an SJ, this is the PERFECT reason to get one.   8)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 05:30:03 AM »
As expected, several good choices. I'll continue to ponder, thanks.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:02:44 AM »
As expected, several good choices. I'll continue to ponder, thanks.
I really like Bucky and Mirkwoods solutions.

Maybe one of these would work?  (And double as a side burner)
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Butane-Burner-Stove-Free/dp/B000BVC4NY

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
A weed-burner and some SJs are all one really needs ....
After dumping, the chimney goes back on to the SJ to cool.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
My back deck doesn't have nearby concrete nor grass available. I'm thinking more along the lines of tables, gassers--some horizontal space I do have.

I do have an SJ and like I said in my post above, have used it sometimes for resting hot stuff or for starting a chimney. Because its diameter is so small, it doesn't offer the deck enough protection for the deck when used. I have one of those round Original Grill Mats I move around here and there, and will likely buy at least one more, but overall think covering the deck with protective gear sorta misses the point of having a nice deck. As it is I have several boards I've ruined with fallen hot coal bits!

Maybe I'll move all my equipment to the garage and grill out front, in the driveway. This is the South, after all. Maybe the front yard would make more sense in that case, but I'd have to move aside the old toilet, washing machine, fridge and truck axle sitting in the yard first.

^^ Those are horrible old stereotypes in case the rest of you weren't aware.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »

My back deck doesn't have nearby concrete nor grass available. I'm thinking more along the lines of tables, gassers--some horizontal space I do have.

I do have an SJ and like I said in my post above, have used it sometimes for resting hot stuff or for starting a chimney. Because its diameter is so small, it doesn't offer the deck enough protection for the deck when used. I have one of those round Original Grill Mats I move around here and there, and will likely buy at least one more, but overall think covering the deck with protective gear sorta misses the point of having a nice deck. As it is I have several boards I've ruined with fallen hot coal bits!

Maybe I'll move all my equipment to the garage and grill out front, in the driveway. This is the South, after all. Maybe the front yard would make more sense in that case, but I'd have to move aside the old toilet, washing machine, fridge and truck axle sitting in the yard first.

^^ Those are horrible old stereotypes in case the rest of you weren't aware.

Or you could just tow your house to another location , after you air up the tires.;)

^^^^^ you started it , lol
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 11:03:27 AM »
I have this so so non kettle, master forge I think is the brand, charcoal grill that has just become my work bench when grilling.  I use it to start chimneys, and put other things. 

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
How about right next to the cement pond..  ::)

:o :o
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..