Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Turkey  (Read 2036 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Beer Can Turkey
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
I’ve done many Beer Can Turkeys over the past few years with great success. They were moist tasty and perfectly cooked. I experiment every year with different setups and method in order to achieve butter results. I brine ALL may Turkeys, and totally believe it makes a big difference.
Lately been working on how the turkey skin looks and how crispy I can get it.
Here is where I started few years ago

Got better looking bird using WSM and higher temp and No rub on the skin. I noticed that the rub on the skin just burns and taste bitter, and caused the bird to get darker. It also didn’t add any flavor to the meat. Since the turkey was brined and I use a lot of spices in my brine, the flavor of the spices permeates the meat through the brining process. I also season both the neck and internal cavity with spices, which is near the meat.

A couple of years ago I got this turkey cannon to save on space inside the grill

And placed the coals on one side of the bird opposed a pile on each side

Rotated the bird during cooking and kept the temp around 360

The final product looked awesome and tasted just as good as previous turkeys. I also noticed that if I use dry wood chunks opposed pre-soaked, the skin does not get as dark either.

I also let the Turkey dry out in the Fridge for at least 2 days post brining for crispier skin and never use water in the grill/smoker.
This year I will Rotisserie the turkey on the Kettle :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:51:37 PM by BBcue-Z »

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Beer Can Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »
great looking birds! the color on the last few shots look like something from a Norman Rockwell painting. I've cooked some good looking birds, but wow!
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »
Beautiful looking bird.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »
Outstanding! Those look great.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

Rotated this Turkey on New Years day. Five hours on the grill, one hour in the oven due to low light conditions outside. This is the best Turkey I have ever had, in one word, spectacular! Twenty one pounds of gastric delite.

With the Turkey on spite, load squire from right to left. First into the right hole, then back into the left hole, and then into the motor. Move bushing to the right to keep the squire from walking out of the motor.
E
Questions?

Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »
That's grate Ernie !!!

How to fix, how to mod, how to set up & get cookin' !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
Thank you ALL!!!

einrej,
I wish I had the Mod instructions before I bought the Weber Rotis ring, but I got it on Craig’s List and it was not too expensive

I’m certainly not a stranger to Rotisserie turkey and I think they’re great!!
I just have not done one on the Weber and decided to do one this year, since it’s colder than usual. My Rotisserie grill is open and doesn’t do well when it’s cold and windy. I think the Weber would do better this year.

Here are a couple of Turkeys that I’ve done on my open Rotis
Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN_HCGTxMaA&list=UUPrmI3rXsCBTwsBRtLnR6oQ