Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Might as well, they hate me already...  (Read 5643 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Might as well, they hate me already...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 04:50:11 AM »
" Does anybody know if the absence of "pat pending" stamp on the vents was a "hard ending" for 1968? "

Blank would mean it's at least earlier '68 or before........plastic caps seems like it would be later more than earlier in the 60's.......or older replacements?

"Transitional?  Hmmmm.... "
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:28:21 AM »
SaxArt...that Summit is hands down the score of the year in my books. $2300+ grill for $45 is just insane.  I don't care if it's a gasser, you will find a way incorporate it into your cooking rotation and it looks like you already have. Anything under $500 for that Sunmit is a steal. As for the 26"...that's nice too. Get her cleaned up and back into shape. Would love to see some pictures after the cleanup/restore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 05:36:57 AM »
Nice pickup and I agree on the kettle karma! As for age, this lid looks flat like my PAT PENDING 26. Not sure if the hubcap is original. This could be a "tail end" thumbscrew era kettle- 1968. The sockets have the shorter "feet" on them which is indicative of the old pre PAT style. Nice find all around!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
Thanks for all of the thoughts guys.   I'll certainly post some "done" pictures once I get her cleaned up hopefully in the next few weeks before the cold weather sets in.

If anybody here has a 1969 Weber catalog, I'd appreciate it if you could see if they went to plastic hubcaps on the 26'ers.
('68 and '72 are online, but I can't find anything in between.)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »
It's all cattywampus!!!!

Local MN/WI WKC hater checking in!  :)
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
Mark-
Calm down.  It's currently in the Weber-Intensive-Care-Unit being repaired by a team of highly skilled technicians using countless boxes of NOS and NIB parts.   It will soon be good as new.     8)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:18:51 PM by saxart »

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
Finally, an update to this kettle.   First it got cleaned up.  The wheels got Greg's patented "Evaporust" treatment, the legs and triangle were cleaned up, and legit thumb screws were purchased to replace the makeshift dry-wall screws that were holding the legs on when we first got the kettle.   ::)

As you may have noticed in the original pictures posted, it needed some work.   First off, it was missing a couple of the dampers on the bowl.  Forum member Stu was nice enough to hook me up with a set of three period-correct round-tab dampers.  They were perfect for this kettle, because....they weren't perfect, so they matched the grill exactly!

They were attached with SS allen button headed screws.   It's not the same as a rivet, but it looks closer than a standard bolt-head.

Next was the charcoal grate.    This one was badly "melted" from previous hot-cooks and was quite thin and rusty.    We have a very-good one, but wanted to see if this one could be used to cook on, keeping the other as a "spare".   First I used my feet to flatten it on the concrete floor of the garage, then welded in a couple of chunks of 3/8" rebar.  The welds are crappy, but the grate is rock-solid now.

It was a BEAUTIFUL day here in Western Wisconsin, so we decided to make some pepper-stout beef.   I'll let the remaining pictures speak for themselves...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »
Great work, Art!
One of the charcoal people.

dengland

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
Beautiful Fall colors everywhere! From the trees to the food. Looks great saxart!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
Spectacular work Art.  Nice find and cleanup.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
Looks great Art! It just keeps on cooking.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
Nice pics and a great story. Thanks!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC