Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chopped sirloin steak 97/3  (Read 2137 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Chopped sirloin steak 97/3
« on: October 14, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
I saw a couple packages of chopped sirloin steak 97/3 on sale.  It is not ground up....but looks like it's been passed through.  How do you cook this?  Quick cook time?  Or does it need more time?
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chopped sirloin steak 97/3
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
almost no fat....hmmmmm

the wife finds things like this sometimes & I have a odd perspective on it, but braized in butter & spices, then tacos maybe?

I just find if low fat content items get cooked too fast, they tend to toughen up, so slow would be my best guess......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »
almost no fat....hmmmmm

the wife finds things like this sometimes & I have a odd perspective on it, but braized in butter & spices, then tacos maybe?

I just find if low fat content items get cooked too fast, they tend to toughen up, so slow would be my best guess......

Agree with Buckie. I cook venison, very lean. I cube(bite size), marinate and hit it hard and fast with heat. Has to be medium rare, or it turns tough. I put out toothpicks to eat it with. The well done types never know that way. 8)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 07:34:39 AM »
I would make chili with it. I dice up sirloin for my chili. Also put bacon, ground pork and ground chuck in it so it has plenty of fat.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:07:50 AM »
Hmmm.....so sounds like long cooking would be better.  Yeah I'm not a fan of 97/3.  But I just wanted to try something out with it.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »
Wrap some bacon around it, that fixes everything.

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
Stir fry or crockpot FTW! I saw ground sirloin, ground round, and another low fat meat on sale this morning! I wish they'd just put the regular ground beef on sale! (Going for flavor myself!) ;-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:46:30 PM by eccj »

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »
I made some of these tonight.  I got one of my cast iron skillets and got it super hot.  Then I seasoned them....then dragged them through some lightly salted and peppered flour.  No egg wash.....no water.....just the flour. 

Some oil in the pan...and I dropped them in.  Couple minutes on the first side and it got a good crust.  Flipped....let it get crusty on the other side.  Then I covered it 3/4 of the way for another 3 or so minutes. 

I didn't get a whole serving....just a bite of one as I was making dinner quickly before heading out for work.   But....it still tasted GREAT!