Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: put out fire  (Read 3847 times)

masonred

• Smokey Joe
put out fire
« on: October 12, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
Do you save charcoal? I did some steaks today and after 10 minutes there lots of burn time so I sprinkled a little water and plan to use to use the charcoal later. Will this work? Tried to not to put enough water in kettle to make a mess, but I guess it’s a fine line. 

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: put out fire
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
Putting water on charcoal makes a mess, plus the ash turns to cement(or close enough to cement)  To save charcoal close off all of the vents and it will snuff out the fire (assuming your vents are tight)  I would toss the charcoal and start with new next time.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
haven't tried water, not sure if it'll ruin the charcoal. most folks(me included) just close all the vents and let it die out. then use the leftover coals in the chimney starter on the next cook.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Craig

• WKC Mod
put out fire
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
Only time I have ever used water was when a tornado warning was out while I was finishing grilling and I poured water to quickly extinguish the coals as to not have a hot kettle slam against the house in the event of high gusts/tornados.

Now normally, no I just close the daisy vents/sweepers and let it die out. You can re use it next time. Water will cause ashmud and it can be murderous on the porcelain finish inside and out.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 03:17:02 AM »
Never use water, buy cheap, I just shut the vents and call it a day, reuse whatever is left.....
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:45 AM »
Same here....shut all the vents, it will die out.  I have found that putting the reused on top in the chimney is better than on the bottom. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »

Only time I have ever used water was when a tornado warning was out while I was finishing grilling and I poured water to quickly extinguish the coals as to not have a hot kettle slam against the house in the event of high gusts/tornados.

Now normally, no I just close the daisy vents/sweepers and let it die out. You can re use it next time. Water will cause ashmud and it can be murderous on the porcelain finish inside and out.

For the record. Immediately the next morning, that kettle got a major deep cleaning. It was like somebody's arse had exploded inside. Not fun to clean up but worth preventing any damage to the bowl. ;)

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:00:29 PM »
I can barely turn the three vents on the bottom of my kettle. What can I do about that?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
I can barely turn the three vents on the bottom of my kettle. What can I do about that?

Is it from cooking gunk or ..........?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »

Also...is it a three wheeler, or the new vents?
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:50:33 AM »
I've had success placing a shallow pan of water over the main heat & closing it up, the resulting steam seems to help w/o making mess of things
**just don't store it in there**
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »
Yeah, like Cookingmama said, put the used stuff on the top of the chimney. It tends to not leave a lot of space in between the pieces, cutting down the air-flow and makes starting the chimney take a lot longer. I just add it to the top or even just spread the chimney of new stuff over top of the old stuff on the grate.

Absolutely no reason to not reuse it under normal circumstances. If I accidentally spill juices on the coals or forget to put a drip tray in (yikes) then I don't reuse that stuff. It can make a nasty smell when it's burned.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 11:22:55 AM »
If it's full of ash and gunk, a good degreaser like Greased Lightning sprayed into the vents and then working the vents will help dissolve the gunk. You can also use dental floss and work it between the bowl and the vents to clear some of the crap out. I created a "spudger" out of thin stainless rod and attack the vents from the inside of the bowl when I see they are getting gunked up.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"