Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Style Charcoal Baskets, Still Available?  (Read 5717 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Old Style Charcoal Baskets, Still Available?
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:17:47 PM »
Does anyone know if the welded wire style baskets are still available from Weber and if so what the part numbers are?
My SS Performer was missing them when I bought it. I would like to try them out and compare them to the new sheet metal style that I have.
Thanks,
-JC
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Old Style Charcoal Baskets, Still Available?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
Wow, prices have jumped quite a bit   >:(

weirleigh

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:11:10 AM »
Yeah I looked at getting some replacements a couple of months ago for a performer but that was a bit of sticker shock  :o  especially since the aluminum ones were $15 for a pair at wal-mart vs $40 + for a pair of the wire baskets

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:21 AM »
I have some wire ones my dealer gave to me but they are smaller as mentioned over the stock ones that come with the performer.  I have not used them as my originals are still good but I don't really like the smaller size of the welded ones.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
Wow, thanks Bob BQ!
Those are a bit steep considering that the sheet metal version are pretty functional. I will stick with what I have for now.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 02:57:51 PM »
Before I knew these were still available through eReplacment parts I paid almost double, $70 for the set, thinking they were NOS and no longer available.

Felt sick upon learning this... until I opened the boxes :) They are pretty damn nice (and heavy!) pieces of equipment and will outlast a couple pairs of cheap ones from wally-world for sure. I actually havent used them yet because they look so nice ;D

Higher capacity than the newer stamped ones as well.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 07:16:23 AM »
Somewhere someone posted the Weber part # that you could get really cheap. (Direct from Weber)
Anyone remember that?
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »
Somewhere someone posted the Weber part # that you could get really cheap. (Direct from Weber)
Anyone remember that?

IF it was posted some time ago, it might have been before Weber (and everyone else) raised all their prices.    I found a thread the other day where all the prices mentioned were about 1/2 what they are currently, and that thread was only from last year.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »
Weber replacement part prices went up about a year ago. These used to sell for $9/each- there's no way that price was sustainable. These wire baskets are really high quality so I recommend them. They don't nest though so they are harder to store than then sheet metal ones.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
There used to be a sweet deal available on the stamped metal baskets-- like $3 per basket, but only if you ordered them individually.  It seems that the closed up that loophole when they raised most of their prices last year. 

The wire-style baskets are a really great tool in your kit, ideal for lots of applications.  But the new price is prohibitive, yes.  The budget-minded can always keep an eye out for bargains on old SSes and MTs, right? 
One of the charcoal people.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
There used to be a sweet deal available on the stamped metal baskets-- like $3 per basket, but only if you ordered them individually.  It seems that the closed up that loophole when they raised most of their prices last year. 

The wire-style baskets are a really great tool in your kit, ideal for lots of applications.  But the new price is prohibitive, yes.  The budget-minded can always keep an eye out for bargains on old SSes and MTs, right?

Just out of curiosity, what are some of those applications ?   Trying to figure out a reason to buy the wire or the stamped baskets, but I keep thinking that the bricks I use for banking do the job well enough coupled with a chimney starter.   

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
 Baskets can come in handy when you want to be able to move the heat around during your cook.
They are also good for keeping the coals off of the side of the bowl, to avoid crazing the porcelain.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC