Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Will high heat from KettlePizza setup damage enamel?  (Read 3243 times)

Taz

• WKC Brave
Will high heat from KettlePizza setup damage enamel?
« on: October 01, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
Hey guys,

With the high temps involved while using KettlePizza, will the enamel get damaged?

I've done a lot of searches on this, but haven't seen much input.  I've seen the odd comment of "I wouldn't risk it" or "it melted the lid bale support bracket", but I haven't seen anything that confirms that the enamel will or won't be damaged at these high temps. 

I'll avoid using my KP on my blue and green Performers and will keep a new One Touch (still in box and will be dedicated to KP) if needed.  However, I'd be more than happy to return the new One Touch and use it on the Performers if I know it won't damage the enamel.

Thanks!

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
Re: Will high heat from KettlePizza setup damage enamel?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »
I am getting a cheapy OTS for mine but so far I use it on my performer. I just keep the coals directly away from bail guides, and have not had a single issue. 3 cooks so far, that last hitting over 1000F which is the highest my infared measures. The bowl and lid are still pristine. The highest intensity is at the rear of the opening where the rear wood fire portion is, plus the reflector I have on the upper part of the KP. Lid temps usually stay about 400F
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
I have a dedicated black OTG that I use. I didn't want t chance it with my colored kettles.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »
the high heat will not directly damage the porcelain finish.

HOWEVER, the heat can cause chips where the grate straps are welded to the bowl. This isn't a result of 'high heat' - it's just a result of heat.
My blue performer chipped at these welds during a normal grilling session (despite surviving a dozen or so 1000+ degree grilling sessions)

Lid bail rollers can melt, as can the tab on the vent.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I also wouldn't use a kettle pizza on anything rare or vintage.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
Honestly I don't ever see the need to cook the pizzas at 800+ degrees.  Mine just burn up....I think if you use the baskets you should be fine.  Mine hasn't shown any issues...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
High heat shouldn't damage the enamel.

I use a dedicated KP-only kettle. I converted a red OT into a Gold. Love the colour change.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Honestly I don't ever see the need to cook the pizzas at 800+ degrees.  Mine just burn up....I think if you use the baskets you should be fine.  Mine hasn't shown any issues...

thin crust dude!
to cook a super thin crust, make it crackery crisp while still cooking, melting, and toasting the toppings, high heat is needed.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
I never needed it

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »
Hi all.  Thanks very much for the feedback.  Pizza will be in the kettle soon!