Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tip top temp test  (Read 11274 times)

irv39

• WKC Brave
Tip top temp test
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »
Got my tip top temp yesterday and thought I would test it today without meat and this thing is amazing it has a dial that has 1 - 8 and I thought I would start at 4 to see were it would get grill to, I put charcoal in a pile and lit 3 charcoals only with a map torch  and let the temp top control the temp from there and it worked amazing. had it set at 4  and cooked for 4 hrs. at 250 then moved the dial to 6 to see where it would go and it went to 300 and cooked for 2 hrs.

4 hrs.

2 more hrs. at 6 on dial

charcoal after after 6 hrs.

were I had the vents at

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tip top temp test
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
That's a neat little gadget. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking at their website now.

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:25:53 AM »
Yes I think it will work out ok, Bruce sent me a e-mail that it would cost 20.00 pay pal and I thought for 20.00 its worth a chance, im going to cook some Cornish hens sat. or sun. that will be the real test.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »
I'm going to order one.  For 20 bucks its worth a try.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »
@irv39 , @wyd  Ok so now that you've all had a few months to play with it. What's your thoughts on it?
I'm pretty keen to get a new toy and this looks like it will work well
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:55:41 PM »
I've had one for several years.
I think it's a cool tool, but I think is best used in higher temp cooks.

In a low and slow cook, it holds temps down by shutting the exhaust. Doing this creates more creosote and will put a bitter taste on your food.

If you use less fuel, you can avoid this... But that kind of defeats the purpose.

At higher temps, like 350, it does just fine.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 05:07:43 AM »
@irv39 , @wyd  Ok so now that you've all had a few months to play with it. What's your thoughts on it?
I'm pretty keen to get a new toy and this looks like it will work well
I have used it a few times and it works as advertised.  I get longer grill times having all the charcoal in one place and if I really want to sear at high heat I can easily do that and then close the vents some to finish my cook.  Overall to me it was worth the few dollars it cost.  I would buy one again.  I have mainly done chicken and pork on it so far but plan on doing some pork knuckles where I will run the charcoal around on the outside of the vortex vs inside so will see how that works this weekend when I make them but I expect it will work just fine.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)