Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Determinining the age of an older Ranch (sorry if this is well known)  (Read 1919 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
A few months back I purchased a Ranch, after a few misses with some WKC members (sorry guys) I have decided to donate it to my local house of worship.  My Pastor is a Weber nut and when he saw it he wanted it.  I told him if the others fell through I would, and I did.

So I am trying to get it fixed up for the hand off, one of the bottom vents are very loose, in taking it off I discover that this is a code C 1981 Ranch.

Another thing that I did for this Ranch is, the grate was very rusty, even using a wire wheel it was hard to get clean.  So I wired it as best I could and seasoned the grate with spray canola oil and smoke, I did two sessions where I oiled the crap out of the grate and burned wood in it.  While haven't had any food off of it it seems to have turned out pretty good.

And there we have it, the ranch is going to be with God, I get a little concerned with the longevity of this thing since non Weber guys will be cooking on it, I may ask to be a part of any party that uses the grill in the future.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Determinining the age of an older Ranch (sorry if this is well known)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »
nice timing.

we just launched the Weber Ranch page today, which covers its history. :)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
Nice. Thanks.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:20:16 AM »
I get a little concerned with the longevity of this thing since non Weber guys will be cooking on it, I may ask to be a part of any party that uses the grill in the future.

That's what the WKC is about!! Very noble :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
"I may ask to be a part of any party that uses the grill in the future."

Yeah, a little "spiritual guidance" is where it's at man...... :D

See if you're able to convince them not to let it travel, also.....that's where things get too banged up.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
Maybe when I enter the pearly gates Saint Peter will return the gift that I gifted to the church, what do you think?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Maybe when I enter the pearly gates Saint Peter will return the gift that I gifted to the church, what do you think?

If he is Weber Man, (and he should be), you ought to be fine.  I say good on ya LB.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
What a freakin' guy LB! Talk about a stand up move!

I hope it comes back to you 10 fold in karma!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
Hey LB - awesome gift that will surely bring you good Karma.

A couple of suggestions:

1)  Provide a cover!  Due to the bowl design (three vent) and the lid design (it has a lip on it), standing water, and therefor rust, is  a big problem.  Any kind of cover will help preserve the life.

2) You may want to consider replacing the triangle with 3 stout legs that are fastened in the sockets by sheet metal screws.  I find that the weight of this kettle will create problems in the leg sockets even if the kettle is not moved much.  This will also allow you to raise the height of the grilling surface to whatever you want it to be.  You can also connect (brace) the three legs with some flat iron stock for an even more stable platform.  if you decide to do this mod, I would be happy to purchase the triangle/wheels from you to help offset any costs.

Please post some pics of the kettle when you get a chance.  I would like to archive them for the Ranch Gallery.

Thanks!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
how about buying a new weber ranch frame and mounting the old kettle in new frame?

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 12:45:36 PM »
how about buying a new weber ranch frame and mounting the old kettle in new frame?

A great option as well - but a bit pricey.  If I remember correctly, G paid about $80 for the top and bottom frame kit for his 26 mod.  You would also want to purchase the lid holder kit if going this way.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »
yep, i think $80 is the cost - i wasn't aware that the lid holder was a separate unit.

i still want to get one for my 26