Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: it was a good week for redheads.  (Read 2835 times)

GregS

• WKC Performer
it was a good week for redheads.
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »

front to back, 91, 92, 96.

looks like the owner of the 91 put the lid under the feet or stored the grill upside down i have no idea.   :o  it has three scratch/dings where the legs sat on the lid?  my neighbor with the 69-70 said i could have it if i put another grill where his is.  so he's getting that one.  he just keeps it on his patio so people know someone lives there and don't go breaking in.  i could have gone real cheap and tossed a $10 used black 22.5 there but his is red so he's getting a red 22.5.  sadly, his grilling days are over (actually were quite some time ago he said) so i'll be cooking him up his favorites from time to time in thanks. 

the '92 was sniped from one of those "estate sale" listings where they mention a weber grill along with a laundry list of everything in the house.  i emailed and asked what color and price, they said red and $10.  pleasant surprise it's a master touch.  giggity. 

lots of cleaning to do, all work right except the sweep on the perf (non-propane start model) which i did a thread about replacement parts.  during which i realized the dude in elgin i've been emailing back and forth about another red kettle was brian.  doh!  so brian and i will probably meet up and i'll "grill" him about which router bit to use for what part of the handle etc.  wood techno shiz but i think i'm buying a redhead off of him as well. 

overall a good week. 

so if i the dude on the south side emails back i'll go pick up someone their nib smokey joe for $10 plus $5 (gas hey i'm way up north this is a 1.5 round trip) plus shipping if he ever replies.  i better not get stuck with that one. 

so a lot to clean up tomorrow, i'll post more pics of the '69-70 after i swap with the neighbor. 

been reading a lot in the cooking threads and i've learned a ton.  everyone in the fam always said i'm the best cook and they haven't seen anything yet thanks to you guys/gals and your tips/recipes. 

good to be here, glad i joined.   ;D

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:00:48 PM by GregS »
I only use kettles with lid bales.

truckertrash

• WKC Brave
Re: it was a good week for redheads.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:10:23 PM »
Yeah dude your on a roll! Them are some nice cookers! And it sounds(and looks) like the weberitis is taking hold!

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
Great pickup. Specially all redheads.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »
thanks!  yeah definitely have some itis goin' on. 

red must be the second most common color for kettles?  i'm not allergic to black, but every weber i've had over the years was a black one so i wanted something different.  reds just popped up this week and i pew pew pew'd em as fast as i could. 

sure would love a lime green, yellow, brown, blue...  lime green, or lime green.  ;) 

actually i have to ship a blue 18 bud light but finding a box for a grill isn't proving to be as easy as it was for guitars.  apparently drum sets don't sell as well as guitars, yes i source my boxes at a music store.  i'm a little OCD with those too. 

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:04:47 AM »
Wow.  Righteous acquisitions there.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:36 AM »
overall a good week. 

lol, I would say so! It took me 4 months to track down a red SS performer and I had to ship it, and a red MT for $10?  :o :o :o

Killer scores Greg, congrats!

ps - those marks on the lid are prob not from the legs - those points are exactly where the lid rubs if set down upside down on the ground - more than likely the last owner set the lid upside down while cooking to avoid getting dirt or grass or whatever inside the kettle lid... or it's just random :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:50:37 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Taz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:52:44 AM »

sadly, his grilling days are over (actually were quite some time ago he said) so i'll be cooking him up his favorites from time to time in thanks. 

Nice scores. Yes, it's sad that his grilling g days are over but it would be even more sad if he didn't have a neighbor like you.   You're a good man Greg.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:24:20 PM »
Seems like you are on a run!  Nice looking Redheads!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »
thanks!

i started cleaning these up and i'm learning a lot reading the technical reference threads and PMing some regulars that have some nice collections.  cough thanks matt cough.
Nice scores. Yes, it's sad that his grilling g days are over but it would be even more sad if he didn't have a neighbor like you.   You're a good man Greg.

thanks Taz, i appreciate that.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »
Fed Ex has all the boxes you'll ever need
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X