Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid and vent cleaning questions  (Read 1307 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Lid and vent cleaning questions
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
I've been cleaning my kettle this weekend.  Soap and Water +0000 (sometimes 00) and barkeeps friend had cleaned it up very nicely.

Any tips on how to clean the black nasty drip around the lip of the lower hemisphere?

Any tips on how to clean around the welds on the handles?

I notice that under the H Ash Sweeper (on the outside) "H" washer and also on the lid holder mounting holes that it seems that there is black enamel that I shouldn't rub off.  Is this a color on top of the color of my kettle?

How do you clean under the vent cover?

Is there a way to remove and re-install the vent cover?  Mine is riveted on.

Thanks, Pete

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lid and vent cleaning questions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »
I've been cleaning my kettle this weekend.  Soap and Water +0000 (sometimes 00) and barkeeps friend had cleaned it up very nicely.

Any tips on how to clean the black nasty drip around the lip of the lower hemisphere?

Best guess without actually seeing how it is & how far you need to go is something like Krud Kutter (semi-intense grease cutting liquid, Home depot & the like) & a Green Scotchbrite pad......still will be some work.....suggest not cleaning the top edge, as that's where your seal with the lid happens............

Any tips on how to clean around the welds on the handles?

Old toothbrush with soap or stuff mentioned above, clear with water......

I notice that under the H Ash Sweeper (on the outside) "H" washer and also on the lid holder mounting holes that it seems that there is black enamel that I shouldn't rub off.  Is this a color on top of the color of my kettle?

Not quite sure what's happening here......is the porcelain scraped off to metal or?
Ah, re-read.....I think it may be that the color just is not covered there because of nuts, bolts or moving parts that would scrape on the area, so yes, leave as is.............
All color kettles are black porcelain underneath.....

How do you clean under the vent cover?

Again, old toothbrush with soap or stuff mentioned above, clear with water......

Is there a way to remove and re-install the vent cover?  Mine is riveted on.

If you must, it can be drilled out & replaced w/ a stainless nut & bolt...member Direct Drive did ones with a really nice Allen bolt machine head.........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"