Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash sweep need resto or replacement on SS Perf, 1991 model.  (Read 1021 times)

GregS

• WKC Performer
Ash sweep need resto or replacement on SS Perf, 1991 model.
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:51:39 AM »
Picked up this ER code SS Deluxe(?) off the list this week.

it's in pretty good condition aside the sweep being jacked up.  i think it was stuck and he forced it because it doesn't go full throw, just a portion of the movement.  i see remnants of what may be grease used to free it?  obviously that's going to get cleaned out 100%.

either way i need to do a full clean up and resto or replace the sweep.  it's a keeper and came with a new cover for it bought when he got the grill in 1991. 

are replacement sweeps available for this one?  or is there a crossover new part kit for it?  pan and catch should be okay, just the mechanism.  (i think...)

planning on tearing down this weekend but wanted to get some ideas/thoughts etc. 

thanks guys and gals. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Ash sweep need resto or replacement on SS Perf, 1991 model.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 04:41:04 AM »
I'm not sure when they changed to the different ash ring,but if you look underneath and there is a bar holding the ring on you will need the old style sweeps, if there is no bar then a current issue sweep will work.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
The ring will have a notch that hold the bar. Often times the bar is rusted out along with the sweep.
You cannot buy either part new anymore. (Weber Discontinued)
The old style sweeps are part # 7409. Sometimes you can find them in old hardware stores.
The bar has been reproduced by a member here. Zavod44. He also makes a very fine reproduction handle.(Order those today and hope you get them by Christmas!) He does have both handles for the SS performer.
If you can't find the old style parts, there is still options.
You can switch over to the new style OT and ash bucket assembly. It takes a mod to do it.
There are discussions on the mods.

Just one of many you can search for.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/okay-who-is-really-interested-one-one-of-these/

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:36:25 AM »
thank you guys. 

i think brian and i have been playing email tennis about one of his redheads this week.  :p:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:46:20 AM by GregS »
I only use kettles with lid bales.