Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaned up - EZ - Red Fade Jumbo Joe  (Read 5269 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: Cleaned up - EZ - Red Fade Jumbo Joe
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
Sure Mike, here's a bit of the backstory...

The seller posted this one up on CL back in early Aug. Member Alfonso also posted it up in the Trading post (Very fast btw!) but I had actually already made contact with the seller and asked if they would consider shipping it ;) ...Yes, I have a CL problem...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/red-fade-jj-in-medford-oregon-$23/msg120596/#msg120596

I scrambled to sort out details knowing there was an onslaught of emails on her way... but I was too late... sure enough by the time I spoke to her again she had been flooded with multiple inquiries and offers from all over the country. To be honest I think it freaked her out a bit.

Thankfully she contacted me again and asked why people were going nuts over this thing. I could tell by her questions she was scared that she might be giving away something worth HUGE bucks so I then explained the whole scenario to the best of my ability including the network of folks on the WKC, the rarity of red kettles (especially the JJ) and then encouraged her to come and check out the site! I figured this would be the best way to ease her mind about pricing and also why she just had 13 out of state phone calls ;)

It's been my experience with CL sellers it's always best to just tell the truth, explain exactly what was going on and why you are so interested, and let them make the call on what they want to do without any pressure. This philosophy has worked for me multiple times in the past when other buyers get too aggressive. Thankfully Carolyn and I were on the same page and able to make an agreement! I did pay more than she was asking but less than some of the other offers which I thought was more than fair. She also mentioned that she received some very angry messages from one of the other potential buyers - I can't imagine that was anybody from within the club... ??? Intimidating an honest, unsuspecting seller via e-mail's pretty sad whomever that was  ::)

ANYWAYS - This JJ lived its life on a farm in Medford Oregon! I don't think she was involved a whole lot in the use of the grill and wasn't quite sure where the missing parts had gone to but knew it had been around for quite some time. For years it was collecting dust in their barn until they slapped it up on CL as part of a garage/fundraiser sale! I wish I had stories of thousands of cooks and travelling all over the globe but that's about all I was able to find out.  :-\

Since the sale I have actually spoken with Carolyn a few more times and she even called me back on a redhead she spotted in her neighborhood!! Amazing! I'm glad to have made a new friend and hope that I get the chance to talk to her again soon.

Let's all try to remember guys - these really are just chunks of metal. Extremely cool, memorizing, addictive chunks of metal... but still just metal.  ;)

R - R - RESPECT

Six

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
Adventure and intrigue, indeed!  Glad you got it, Six, and even happier that honesty and openness prevailed. 
One of the charcoal people.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
Great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »
Dang 604!  You always get the hot chicks!