Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I am one with my JJ  (Read 1961 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
I am one with my JJ
« on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Hello, Everyone:

This will be a somewhat very long post, without photos, so please accept my apologies in advance.

I did a test cook today with my JJ. 

By way of context, I've been bragging online (Facebook, and in some chat groups) about my exploits with charcoal grilling and barbecuing.  For those who are not in tune to charcoal, I am a genius.  To those who are more experienced, I am an a**hole.  Well, today I had an epiphany, and I have only my barbecue/grilling brethren and brethrenettes to thank.

I had to give in to one of my relatives.  I told him that at the next reunion I would do some cooking on charcoal.  Now, I'm committed to following through.

Well, I was trying to figure out something that would appeal to everyone.  So, I hit on the idea of doing something simple, for example, chicken, and my wife and I settled on chicken legs, figuring that the kids would go for it, as would the adults; it's easy, and a lot of it would fit on the JJ.

Well, "a lot of it" is relative.  We bought a family pack of chicken legs.  There were 13 in the pack.

I used three different rubs, in batches of four, with one batch having an advantage.

I used a mini chimney starter or KB, left over from a previous cook.

On the JJ, I had installed a Tru-temp thermometer, right in the middle of the dome lid damper.  I know it's not accurate, but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, I used a mini chimney starter of KB, and I got an initial reading of 435 degrees after about fifteen minutes.

In prep, I foiled half the charcoal grate to catch the drippings.  I placed the legs on the cooking grate indirect, just barely able to get 'em all indirect.  Midway through the cook, I switched some legs away from the coals.  A minute or two later the thermometer read 335 degrees, and held more or less steadily throughout the cook.  I added about eight briquettes when I put the legs on the cooking grate.

After 30 minutes I moved some of the legs around to try to even out the cook, and I added about six or eight more briquettes.  The cooking temp, according to the Tru-temp, was around 335 or 340.  After an hour I checked the internal temp.  Some were at 163; some were at 160; some were over 165.  I put all the legs over direct heat for about ten more minutes.  I then checked the internal temp.  Most, if not all, were well over 165.

I removed the legs, tented them until the sides were ready.  Then we ate.

My point of all this -- I went with my instincts, plus what I learned from all of you, and others in the other grilling/barbecue groups to which I subscribe.

I think I hit pay dirt.  Granted, it may not be perfect; but, I confirmed for myself that I can make something edible, on my own, without getting all nerdy about pit temp and such.

I wanted to share this with all of you.

I may be making similar posts in other groups.  All of my grilling/barbecue brethren and brethrenettes share in this celebration, if you can call it that.

So, the training wheels come off.  I ride my ten-speed, or if you are so inclined, grind the gears of my four-on-the-floor (yes, I'm showing my age), and I'm burning the quarter mile -- how's that for mixing metaphors?

Anyway, thank you all.  I now set sail for lands unknown.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: I am one with my JJ
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
Relax and enjoy the cook! 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

"My point of all this -- I went with my instincts"

Use the FORCE, Luke........

"and I'm burning the quarter mile "

Scratch out, dude !!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:48:14 PM »

I am a genius.  I am an a**hole.

We would get along great!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
That's very cool Eapples. Instincts can bloom from experience/knowledge.

I'm two "cooks*" into my new JJ. I put it together with new stainless hardware and added a SS bolt through the bottom damper to act as a lever. Picked up Weber's dedicated SJ/JJ table for it as well ... we're RV-ing this weekend along with a bunch of other people. The JJ will play a bit part in that, not be responsible for all meals for all people. Still deciding on the menu.

* a 16" grocery store pizza (on stoneware thing) each of the last two nights. Trying to see if such pizza would be a possible menu candidate. Pretty much got it down on the second try but the jury's still out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
I was interested to see this post. I was messing around at Target today and scored myself a JJ at half price.  Kind of hard to beat that, right?  Anyway, I was already planning on cooking up some country-style ribs for dinner.  I also wanted some chicken legs so the JJ purchase was fortuitous. I unpacked and assembled the JJ, lit some KBB and threw the legs on with a chunk of hickory.  I thought they turned out well for a first attempt. Sounds like we were both kind of in the same boat.  Carry on, sir, and god speed.
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser