Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flip this Kettle: Another CL Score  (Read 3316 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Flip this Kettle: Another CL Score
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
It's been a busy summer of "kettle flipping" buying, cleaning, using, and selling kettles on craigslist. I started with a neglected OTS that I got for $8. My ultimate goal is to buy sell or trade my way up to a Gas assist performer and an 18 inch WSM without significant additional investment. These are lofty goals but I'm making progress.

The plan is simple if I find a grill that's better than what I have now I will upgrade only if I feel can sell the old one for more than the new one so I end up with a better grill and more money for future upgrades. I hedge my bets and list both on Craigslist together priced appropriately and which ever sells, sells. I get left with a kettle and cash. I bought two OTS's, sold one and upgrade one to an OTG

Last week I saw an OTG with a weber chimney for $30. I usually make my first offers aggressively but this was already a steal so I paid the asking price and got it home. It was pretty good shape but had heavy duty grease inside. I don't mind some buildup but only if it's my buildup, so this one needed a cleaning. Using advice I read on this board I gave it a bath in dish soap and let it sit overnight. The next afternoon I went at with a razor blade scraper and like magic the grease was coming off like a roll of film leaving pristine kettle below. Heres an in progress photo showing before scraping on left and after on right.

By the time the cleanup was done this kettle was gone to a buyer for a profit ( I kept the weber chimney but threw in a no name one I had.

I was pretty happy with that flip but then I struck again:
For the same $30 this was listed:
It was listed late at night and I couldn't get until after work the following day. Knowing that it wouldn't last at that price I offered the seller to pay via paypal immediately just so I wouldn't lose it. They held it for me since I made the first offer, and good thing, as they got 3 more offers same day.

When I got I was shocked, this looked like it was hardly used at all. So little in fact that there was actually some mold inside as it sat covered in a garage for years (the date code is DA).

Took it home and gave it a wash with some soap and water and ten minute later I had a perfect one touch platinum for $30! It took longer to get musty smell out of the cover then it did to clean the grill :)

The OTS turned OTG it  replaced was sold 3 days later to reimburse and reinforce the "kettle acquisition fund"

The summer grill season here in New York will be winding down shortly so selling will be tougher but I'm hoping that someone will want to unload a gas assist performer and or a WSM before winter.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Flip this Kettle: Another CL Score
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Dude you are on a roll! I would keep that one and still look for the Performer, believe me table space is wonderful!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
I love doing this too. It is exciting and gives us something to work towards.
A Wonderful Family!!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »
I got started the same way 4 years ago, eventually I would build up to something very nice then cash out.

It is fun to get to use to many grills, I would basically buy something new and swap it with what I was currently using so it was not much if a flip but i do more flipping now a days.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
Man you are a shufflin' an hustlin'!  I'm exhausted just reading that post.

Keep working your system and you'll get there.  Maybe there's even a member in the area that would be willing to help your cause.  Come on NYC.  Someone throw this guy a gas assisted bone!

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
Charlie, I love this. Keep it up, then don't stop when you get the one you want. Just keep doing it on the side to make cash. I don't know if you're married or not, but those of us who have to be careful with our finances can do this sort of thing and pay for our Weberitis. Well, at least we can subsidize it a bit without the better half getting too ticked off. Plus, it's fun.

Very cool! They should do a reality show with you as the star.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
epic post 8)

keepem coming

hang around here for a bit and a performer will appear quickly :P

winter is the buying season  ;D

you will have a dozen kettle by the time the year is out  :D

watch out for weberitis :-*
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

ligrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 02:02:28 AM »
I will have to step up my CL hunting as your are on long island as well :)

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:12 AM »
I will have to step up my CL hunting as your are on long island as well :)
^^ Haha!

truckertrash

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
LiGrill,

Perhaps an alliance will allow us both to prosper. I'll PM you more details  ;)
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP