Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Bros Metal Works  (Read 15375 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber Bros Metal Works
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
WOW !!!!!

That is as good as we thought, eh what?

The front leg attachment MAY be aftermarket?

Maybe that's why they stopped making them like that....too many broke off?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

blackdog043

• WKC Brave
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
Nice looking grill, congrats!!!
Bill    Looking for a Yellow

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2014, 06:35:33 PM »
Great find! Congrats!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 06:47:56 PM »
Man!!! This is awesome! What a nice score and story to go along with it. Seeing it all cleaned up yet preserved as is makes it an awesome piece of history and a helluva nice cooker. You did good on this one! I actually like the way the old 50s-pre '63 kettle lids hang off the bowl higher up than the later kettles. Seems when Weber moved the hook at the same time they switched handle directions "towards" the lid vent, they made the lid hang lower. Those wheels look like they were originally red and that cooking grate.......it looks mean (in a good way) that thing has to be way heavier than even the 60s-early 80s one piece grates. Goes to show that some 58 or so years later, George Stephen & Weber weren't jacking around when they said it's BAR-B-Q-KETTLE will last you for years and years.  8)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2014, 06:54:19 PM »

I'm thinking so. Even when I made my "mock up" black Chicago/Wood Dale the weight of the bowl/lid/grates seemed to be taxing on the front leg. Hence why some surviving examples have been seen with the front leg or all three splayed from years of weight/pressure on the sockets. This one, looks like it was saved from that fate decades ago with the repair job. This kettle tells a story.  :)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
It's was bought at a rummage sale in Havre , Montana in the 60's , it's been to Canada and back again staying with the family the whole time , it's had a long life and now as I told the seller , it's legacy will carry on as a piece of history , it will likely out last all of us .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:32 AM »
It's was bought at a rummage sale in Havre , Montana in the 60's , it's been to Canada and back again staying with the family the whole time , it's had a long life and now as I told the seller , it's legacy will carry on as a piece of history , it will likely out last all of us .

Excellent and amen!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2014, 06:08:08 AM »
Just... wow! Seeing that with the minimal clean up that you've done... it's a beauty, for sure! Thanks!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »

I'm thinking so. Even when I made my "mock up" black Chicago/Wood Dale the weight of the bowl/lid/grates seemed to be taxing on the front leg. Hence why some surviving examples have been seen with the front leg or all three splayed from years of weight/pressure on the sockets. This one, looks like it was saved from that fate decades ago with the repair job. This kettle tells a story.  :)

The leg sockets are as solid as can be , I believe your right , the repair saved this from years of  wiggling while being moved around , and it was moved around from Chicago to Montana to Saskatchewan and back to Montana , not even a wheel hub missing in all that travel . It's quite amazing . 

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2014, 05:13:45 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SixZeroFour

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »
It's in remarkable condition - congrats again on this monumental score Idahawk!

If you plan on straightening out the triangle pan edges I found these awesome long edge sheet metal vise grip clamps that have come in handy for me many times. I bet a set would be perfect for sharpening up the edge lines....

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Locking-And-Snap-Ring/IRWIN-VISE-GRIP-8R-Locking-Sheet-Metal-Clamp-Plier/2911774.p

Also is the triangle hinge mount mod simply bolted to the original triangle? I can completely understand leaving it due to the history but if you decide to restore to original the pan appears somewhat complete?

A piece of history right there!

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Weber Bros Metal Works
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »
I'd like to install a small piece of tin to just replace the tip of the triangle , I need to see another up close to figure out how it attaches . I've got it in phase one soaking in PB blaster to be able disassemble it. The axel and tires/wheels all move as one piece , slightly rusted together, the tires won't come off the axel just yet ..

Looks like an animal chewed on the tire a bit, lol ironic isn't it, something used to cook animals gets paid back , lol

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:53:06 PM by Idahawk »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Mine isn't original, but I used a small piece of tin (duct) riveted to the bottom, then the vertical piece was rounded to fit the leg and screwed into a dowel inside the leg and using the original hole.

Just a thought.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »

Mine isn't original, but I used a small piece of tin (duct) riveted to the bottom, then the vertical piece was rounded to fit the leg and screwed into a dowel inside the leg and using the original hole.

Just a thought.

I'd like to see what you did , sounds like what I'm thinking about .

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Dude, relax your chicken.