Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advise Needed for Snake Method Prime Rib cook  (Read 1947 times)

Beachdude

• Smokey Joe
Advise Needed for Snake Method Prime Rib cook
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new here, and new to the Weber Kettle. I got a Weber Gold for my birthday, and have never looked back. But being a Weber 'newbie', I need advise on more complicated cooks than the usual steaks and burgers that I have been doing. I want to do a Prime Rib this weekend on the Gold, and want to slow cook it. I like the idea of the Snake Method, but don't really know what to expect, and how to plan. While I know temp and time will depend on a lot of factors, I hoped that some of you pros could give me some general advise. For instance, what formation should I use for the 'Snake'...example, two rows, two briquettes high, or three high..etc. I would like to have a temp in the 250-275 range if possible.
Also, what is a general cook time per, say, 6" of the 'Snake'?  I was wondering how long to make the Snake for a Prime Rib cook. I'm not too concerned about the length, as I can make is very long and cut it off when the PR is ready to take off. I am more curious about this issue more than anything.
Any advise you could give this newbie would be much, much appreciated.  :)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Advise Needed for Snake Method Prime Rib cook
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »
Hi Beachdude, and welcome.

PR is fantastic on  a  weber, whether the kettle or WSM.

Others may disagree, but personally I would not do a snake, I would just cook it indirect with banked or basketed coals.  I love prime rib cooked at 275-300, and 250 may be too low, or lower than you need.   Plus, you will be leaving it rare (or medium rare), so many hours and hours of (snake) cooking is not needed.  I would just indirect cook it at 275 to 300, and shut all the dampers for later coal re-use when it is done. 

Post pics when you cook it, and save the snake for a pork or picnic roast!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
i would bank coals instead of snaking. keep it low, 225-250.

watch your temps with a remote thermo like the Maverick 732.
When your temp is at 105, light another half chimney. The fresh coals will give you a good heat source for the final sear.
I usually sear when the temp hits 120. By the time i'm done searing the temp is 130 and I pull and foil tent it to rest for 30 minutes.

Beachdude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
Thanks for the advise. So, it sounds like banking is the way to go instead of the snake.