Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shipping a Ranch Kettle - Please Help  (Read 2793 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Shipping a Ranch Kettle - Please Help
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:09:43 AM »
I am calling out and SOS for some help on shipping the mammoth Ranch that I purchase for a fellow club member.

There have been some suggestions on the other thread but I wanted to compile them here.

building a crate from a pallet seems to the popular choice.

I thought of going to an appliance warehouse to get huge boxes.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Shipping a Ranch Kettle - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
Check with greyhound. I shipped a pair of tympani basically mummified in bubble wrap and they arrived in perfect shape. Cost was very reasonable too. Good luck!

Marty

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »
Contact Brian...
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:07:08 AM »
check this thread....
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mothership-ii-has-left-the-building-(pic-medium)/msg82456/#msg82456

Building a crate would be best.  At a minimum, I would recommend a very sturdy box (double walled cardboard at a minimum) and some thin plywood sheeting at the base.  The overall box height shouldnt be very high because the lid fits neatly in the bowl.  Once you have the box/crate, the remainder of the packing should be similar to packing a smaller kettle.

Hope this helps....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Well the first thing you need to do is figure out how your shipping it.  That will determine how heavy you can make it.  A crate will be very heavy.  The grill is almost 100 lbs and greyhound told me 100 is the max.  So if your palette crate is 50 or more and the grill is 100 you have issues.  You need to determine who will ship something that's 150 lbs.  Or if you need to pack it some other way.  That's what i said yesterday.  Did you find out how you'll ship it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »
Probably have to go freight truck on a pallet , it's not as bad as you might think , and you could simply shrink wrap it really well and not mess with crates and boxes. When you go freight you buy a 4x4 spot on the truck from roof to floor , request them to not stack it on anything or to stack anything on it ( just in case ) you can also save by picking it up at the freight companies hub as opposed to home delivery which most common carriers won't do anyway and is expensive . Use a nationally known company that operates in your region . I've had skids of hickory and red oak shipped to me here in Idaho from Minnesota and that's a lot of weight only around $160.00
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
Probably have to go freight truck on a pallet , it's not as bad as you might think , and you could simply shrink wrap it really well and not mess with crates and boxes. When you go freight you buy a 4x4 spot on the truck from roof to floor , request them to not stack it on anything or to stack anything on it ( just in case ) you can also save by picking it up at the freight companies hub as opposed to home delivery which most common carriers won't do anyway and is expensive . Use a nationally known company that operates in your region . I've had skids of hickory and red oak shipped to me here in Idaho from Minnesota and that's a lot of weight only around $160.00

Any suggestions on companies?  uship?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:43:09 PM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 03:05:03 PM »
I have used craters and freighters a few times in the past.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »

Don't need to pry into particulars, but where, generally, are you sending it?

Common carrier (truck freight) might be best, or.....

....if we maybe have now enough trustworthy people in line, a pass-along to get it where it's going?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
Your looking for a. LTL truck ( less than truckload ) I use Reddiway , there's FED ex freight also but it's spendy , it's best to shop around for quotes. If the item can be delivered to and picked up at the companies hub you'll save , also you don't need a lift-gate if they ask you. Mention that you don't want anything stacked on it , just to be safe. Sometimes if you set up an account  with a carrier the better the rate as well . U ship is fairly new , like craigslist for truckers to find loads , may work, may not don't know :)
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs