Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Butt Afternoon  (Read 1114 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Pork Butt Afternoon
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »
Had a hankering for some pork butt so I picked up a small boneless roast last night and rubbed it down after applying a thin coat of light olive oil.  The rub consisted of salt, pepper, mango/chipolte powder, granulated garlic, ground up dehydrated onion, brown sugar, smoked hot paprika, sweet paprika and a blend called Moroccan Road that contains coriander, cumin, cinnamon and mint.  This afternoon just before hitting the grill:

I kept the lid temp around 300f and smoke clean through most of the cook.  With oak and pecan on top of the lump I had the top vents 70% open:

And bottom vents barely open:

Me and one of the dogs:

I cooked the butt fat side for 3 hours then flipped it fat side down for an hour.  I then put the meat in a pan fat side up without foil for an hour.  The pan was then foiled till the butt probed like butter...in this case 196f.  I then removed the foil, killed all the vents and applied a glaze to the butt.  The glaze was a Mixon knockoff that consisted of cider vinegar, bbq sauce, hot sauce, salt, pepper, corn suryup and crab apple jelly.  The glaze set in the cooling Kettle for about an hour.  Done:

Pulled:

The hog glaze from Mixon's book was quite good.  Gonna have to do that again.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork Butt Afternoon
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
Great looking cook up , I'll have to try the hog glaze it looks incredible. 
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:57:07 PM »
Awesome cook. Looks great.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:47 AM »
WOW that looks delicious....
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
The glaze sounds good and the pork looks fantastic!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......