Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WGA Charcoal..... What Do I Need To Know?  (Read 3130 times)

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
WGA Charcoal..... What Do I Need To Know?
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
Bought this with the intention of using the wood handles on a Blue MT. Arranged the deal to pick it up off the front porch, and put $4 under the mat. I tipped them $1 with a $5 lol.... Just grabbed it and put it in the trunk. Got it home, and the handles are riveted on. So the swap with the MT isn't going to work, so now I gotta find out about these. Pretty good shape overall and solid, handles are really nice, though faded, grate is rusty. Should clean up to ne a respectable traveling cooker. It is a B code. So, what do you guys suggest and any input on them? I had one about 30 years ago, but didn't really pay much attention to it back then.

Thanks In Advance!

Scott

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:45:27 PM by Fishawn »

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: WGA Charcoal..... What Do I Need To Know?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
Nice grab, I would R&R the cooking grate at the least and start thinking along the lines of most anything you can cook
on a kettle, you can cook on this including indirect cooking with smoke wood. I have two now but had one of the
Marlboro WCGA's way back in the day and it was steak cooking monster, just have fun with it.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 06:38:45 PM »
It's in great shape, and a great deal too!  Clean it up, use it, or sell it I suppose.  But I'd get some MT handles from Brian at the link on the banner above.  He can get you exactly what you need for your blue MT  (and that's only two handles, so it won't be terribly expensive).
One of the charcoal people.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »
Awesome find, and $4 + tip made it a steal! I've got an "A" CGA. Like mirkwood said, you can do just about anything on these. They are great for indirect...

There is a bit more cooking space than on an SJ. I know there is a lot of knowledge about these over @ the brethren site... do a search for CGA and Phubar, and you'll be wanting to cook on that sooner than later.

Have fun!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
Agreed, clean up the outside with some four zero steel wool (works on the legs too), give the inside a good scraping, acquire a new cooking grate and fire it up. Those handles will come back too, little sanding and a wood finish of your choice. Nice score!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:42:45 PM by 1ROW »

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
WGA Charcoal..... What Do I Need To Know?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Thanks all! I was kinda bummed when I got it home and noticed rivet handles, but the more I look at it, the more I think I will enjoy it. I was surprised at how heavy they are, and seem really well built. And if I'm correct, B code makes it a 1980? Nothing like Weber products 👍
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:12:18 PM by Fishawn »

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »
Nice pickup.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »
Thanks all! I was kinda bummed when I got it home and noticed rivet handles, but the more I look at it, the more I think I will enjoy it. I was surprised at how heavy they are, and seem really well built. And if I'm correct, B code makes it a 1980? Nothing like Weber products 👍

Yeah, clean them up and enjoy as-is. Maybe with a new grate.  ;). If you google "Phubar CGA" or "Phubar Go Anywhere" you'll see some amazing CGA cooks. HankB also has some nice cookups.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
I suggest you send it to me for proper disposal.  Great buy.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962