Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer thrermoplastic table question  (Read 1878 times)

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
Performer thrermoplastic table question
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:53 AM »
So I pulled out the blue performer yesterday to use - haven't used it in awhile I have been using my red ss and the kettles lately and I find the table on the blue has a crack about 1 1/2" long on the side about 2" away from the top mounting screw.
This is an AA ( 2011 ) I know Weber will probly send me a new table but what's the deal do these tables have flaw and are they prone to crack ?

salad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Performer thrermoplastic table question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:38:23 AM »
No first hand experience here but it's not uncommon to see cracked ones on craigslist.  Maybe the plastic becomes brittle over time but 2011 isn't old so who knows?
WTB 18 fruit

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
I have seen it on the Performer Silver where the cart isn't fitted with the casters. To move it around, you lift the end of the cart by using the end of the table as a handle. If you do this often enough, with weight on the table, it will crack.

I have fixed a couple by drilling a hole either side of the crack and fitting a bracing plate.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
I see that crack on almost all of the older OTPs that I see.  Mine had the infamous crack, so I just built a better table out of a few 1"x10"s.
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:30:39 AM »

I have seen it on the Performer Silver where the cart isn't fitted with the casters. To move it around, you lift the end of the cart by using the end of the table as a handle. If you do this often enough, with weight on the table, it will crack.

I have fixed a couple by drilling a hole either side of the crack and fitting a bracing plate.

This is the first time Ive seen this mentioned.  Seems like a smart solution.  Would love to see pics of it done. Not sure if @Jocool is still around or has his OTP.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:00:57 AM »
Therm - O - Plastic cracking. I haven't seen that on my SSPs.

Yeah, not a sympathetic comment, but that is what is going to eventually happen with a plastic table. If you buy a Gen1+ Performer - order the new table to put on it.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:38:58 AM »
I'll see if I can dig up an old picture.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

If it breathes, we can cook it!

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »
Thermoset table is up there with the nylon handles as one of the worst moves Weber made, followed nicely by the bolt on taco handle.   >:(
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
I have a AD and Weber replced mine under warranty with a metal table.
Love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
They will replace it for you for.  As long as you don't mention that you lift and move from the table side.  Always depends on who you get from customer service as well.  If you get denied hang up and try again with someone else.