Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It's been a good week on CL...  (Read 2287 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
It's been a good week on CL...
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
Started off the week making contact with the seller of a battle scarred red MBH; asking price was $50. I picked it up Wednesday night. I talked the seller down to $25. The real bonus was that it came with a corn n tater ring! As glrasmussen put it "Grill was free and the corn and tater was a bargain". Wasn't able to get the story behind the grill... the guy was in a bit of hurry. This grill is not much of a looker, but it is in decent shape. I'm going to use the bowl for my WSM mutt.

The next day, I was patrolling CL, and took a 2nd look at a listing for 2 Weber grills, asking price, $50 a piece/OBO. They both looked like sh*t...formerly black, now gray, rusty triangles, mismatched or no handles, etc.... however... one of the pics showed the older style cast iron grate. The posting had been up for nearly 2 weeks. I had seen it, but as the grills were in bad shape, the asking price was too high, etc, I never gave the second pic a close look. Well, I called the seller right away. The gentleman was obviously older... stated that both grills were still available, and did I want to come take a look at them. Couldn't make it out there last night, so I ran by this evening. I was prepared to offer $10-15 (or higher) for the grate alone. I got out there and wound up having a great conversation with Mannie, who is a legally blind, WWII vet. When we get around to the transaction, he immediately points me in the direction of the "nicer" grill (the one with the ci grate and mismatched handles). No special story behind the grill... it's a an "O", that was obviously well loved, and used very often. He said that he "and the love of my life are getting up there, and just can't use the grills anymore".

Well, I lost all heart for haggling for just the grate and a lower price. He told me the price was $40, not $50, so that's what he got. $40 for the cast iron grate and the conversation w/ a WWII vet is well worth it, in my eyes. Before I left, his wife came out and handed me the near mint condition cookbook and owner's manual that came with the grill. And after all that, Mannie threw in a home made chimney, a wire-brush wheel to clean up the grate, a scraper, and a few old bbq tools.

I got the grill home, did a quick wire-brush job on the grate (might need to season it up tomorrow and take it for a test cook!)...

I gave the "O" beater a quick clean up... ran the wire-brush over the triangle, cleaned up the 7409 ash sweep, scraped the insides, hosed it all off, and put in a replacement cooking grate. In honor of Mannie, tomorrow morning it's going to the VFW Hall that is down the road from my old house. They have bbq's about once a month to raise funds, and at the last one, I noticed one of their grills was sans lid. They get a grill, and I don't have to worry about my wife reacting to a 2nd unexpected grill this week! Win-win!

Oh yeah… here's a gratuitous pic of my two grate scores!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:35:36 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
Re: It's been a good week on CL...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »
Awesome score and great story.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »
Just awesome!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:00 AM »
Great story, I have ran into situations where I was determined to talk down then I looked at the circumstance of the seller and gave them full price and was completely happy with it.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:49:39 AM »
Fantastic story and great scores Bob. Very nice work donating the grill too. Stories like that just bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:10:49 AM »
Great story! 
I wonder if that CI grate insert is original with that grate.  I have the same grate, but mine came with a CI griddle fit inside.  Either way, very cool.  I'm sure its gonna get a work out!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »
 Great story about the Mannie and his wife love of Weber kettles. Those are some nice scores ( man I would love to have a grate insert style grill).
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »
A1 job there Bob. Are you gonna attend one of those bbq's one day?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
Great story! 
I wonder if that CI grate insert is original with that grate.  I have the same grate, but mine came with a CI griddle fit inside.  Either way, very cool.  I'm sure its gonna get a work out!

My recall is a little fuzzy, but I think it's both were available & the C. I.'s double as a fit for one of the older model gassers.....

Tremendous pick, Bob !!!!!

Don't recall too many accessory scores quite like  that at the same time & the background & personalities make it just that much better !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »
Just an excellent story Bob, thanks for sharing!

The backstory and people you meet make scores like this worth so much more than a few bucks. Congrats!

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
Nice work Bob!  Those are some grate grates.
One of the charcoal people.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »
Cool stuff. :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
Great story! 

Jeff, they did sell the grate w/ the CI grate insert. BBQMiller posted a pic in this thread.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 01:18:11 AM »
Man, what a great story.

I hope I can pass down my grills with legacy.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 02:27:44 AM »
Bob - nice score. I have that same exact grate and use it as my every day cooking grate. You have to keep it seasoned or it will rust up pretty quickly.

Your donation back was much appreciated I'm sure. Nice job!

Winz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.