Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).  (Read 7924 times)

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
Here's the response I got from Weber in regards to why some things are available over seas but not here, I don't believe it. So it's cheaper to send stuff across the pond to 'see how popular it is' and not release it to the US? And why wouldn't some of the products work with US grills? Warming rack and various colors come to mind right off the bat...

Thanks for choosing Weber. I would be happy to help you. Some of the stuff is sent elsewhere to see how popular it is, some of them will not work with the US grills, some were here at one point and got discontinued.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:38:29 AM »
some of them will not work with the US grills

:o

OK, that one I don't believe.

The responder is blowing smoke.

::)

We've got skills. We'll make it work.

8)
Dude, relax your chicken.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:43:27 AM »
Sounds like someone too far down the food chain to properly answer the question.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
Sounds like someone too far down the food chain to properly answer the question.

My thoughts exactly.  Working in a field where we are constantly shipping overseas, I can tell you international shipping on anything larger than a piece of paper is expensive.  If Weber really wanted to test products for the US, they would utilize groups like this forum.  I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers who would pay the maufacturing cost of an item to test it and have it before the general public.
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »
I also think that it's possible that Weber UK, for example, has some degree of autonomy.
In this way, they could develop products that they believe will sell in their regions and may utilize the mothership for some component parts support.

The Weber pizza oven may have started this way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:27:20 AM by DirectDrive »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:31:31 AM »
I also think that it's possible that Weber UK, for example, has some degree of autonomy.
In this way, they could develop products that they believe will sell in their regions and may utilize the mothership for some component parts support.

The Weber pizza oven may have started this way.

And ... they're closer to China ...  ??? :-X :-X
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:18 AM »
The company line seems to be the same with all these types of questions

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:36:21 AM »

My thoughts exactly.  Working in a field where we are constantly shipping overseas, I can tell you international shipping on anything larger than a piece of paper is expensive.  If Weber really wanted to test products for the US, they would utilize groups like this forum.  I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers who would pay the maufacturing cost of an item to test it and have it before the general public.

If Weber used WKC members as a market test, they would get some very skewed results.  And that is really what we are talking about here, not product development.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »

If Weber used WKC members as a market test, they would get some very skewed results.  And that is really what we are talking about here, not product development.

Product development is the starting point, unless I'm suddenly going senile...which is possible.

:P

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »
Regarding colour selection, could it have something to do with manufacturing regulations (similar to no longer making red's?) or are all the kettles made and enameled in the same place?

I sure can't make sense of their sales strategy... seems like they are missing out big time in their strongest market.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »
Product development is the starting point, unless I'm suddenly going senile...which is possible.

My mistake I guess.  I viewed the topic, quite literally,  as a question of why already developed products were not available in certain markets.

Shrug.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »

My mistake I guess.  I viewed the topic, quite literally,  as a question of why already developed products were not available in certain markets.

Shrug.

With the OP in mind, it would be very interesting to see/hear what goes on in the market strategy meetings.
We need to capture an insider and make him talk !

Bwahaha !

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
I've got to believe two things.

1. The person answering the question is too far down the food chain.

2. I strongly believe it will get better for us in the U.S. . I think more people are grilling now than they did even 15-20 years ago and more people using them year round and the fact that the American palette has matured beyond just burgers and dogs on the grill. (Though they are still my favorites) people are getting more creative and that necessitates innovative ways to use a charcoal or even a gas grill. I think by decades end or early in the next decade, we'll see more accessories come back or even some oldies return like a kabob ring or a full griddle grate. Color options, I don't know. They're definitely listening and are trying to bring red back as best they can. It will be interesting to see what other colors come out or if any old ones return in new form.. I don't know what will happen, I'm just being optimistic.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 08:32:26 AM »
I also think that the options/accessories that were available here in the 60s-70s, was Weber being ahead of their time. The public at large was still only grilling the basics. Meat and only meat. Convenience food was the order of the day and ruled the roost back then. TV Dinners, instant pudding etc. We  [american consumers back then] perhaps weren't  ready or willing to tackle turkey or breakfast on the kettle (or a gas grill) back then or even stir fry, though George and company knew it all worked. This could account for the hoards of BNIB NOS accessories cropping up. I can't imagine the accessories we all want and crave now were that successful sales wise when they were readily available at the hardware store in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Plus who was going to tell Grandma that hosted Thanksgiving every year that the turkey for that year was going to be cooked on a grill instead when she had done it successfully for 40 years in an oven that she enjoyed doing? I don't know, maybe she would have enjoyed a year off, but we'll never know.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:48:25 AM by Craig »

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:02 AM »
Is Weber in Europe owned by Weber in the States? These questions are being asked to the wrong people. A typical customer service rep only knows what is on the paper in front of them.

My theory on the colors is that they can charge more for them overseas and if they start to offer them over here they won't sell at that price point and would end up having to change both price points. I'm guessing they make enough extra profit over there and they aren't technically losing sales over here. If someone is looking for a charcoal grill they will buy one in whatever color is available. More choices would be great but doesn't necessarily equal more sales.

Plus, retailers may not want more SKU's. These grills already take up a lot of floor space.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-