Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).  (Read 7918 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Response from Weber (why are some things not available here).
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:08 PM »

Not to mention all the garbage that's in convenience and processed foods. We consumed them without question for nearly 60 years. There's so many more choices now due to public awareness and demand. But that's a whole other topic...

Speaking of processed food: I've still got a sneaking love for pizza rolls... :)

hot pockets and pizza rolls are my comfort food
:)
Just my 2c worth from this side of the Pond.....here in the UK we generally pay in £ what you guys pay in $. Now given an exchange rate of around 1.60$ to the £, that's quite a mark up.

In this case there is also a good price hike. For example, a One touch Gold is selling at Homedepot for $149, whereas the equivalent is being sold at our Homebase for £200 ($320).

That price difference makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it!!

The only reason more isn't sold here, is that the Market size of the whole of the Uk is probably less than just one State in the U.S.

Troy, back in the late 90s-early 00s, I used to live on Hot Pockets. I had one for the first time in 13 years last month and I don't miss them..... I couldn't even finish it.. and it was BBQ flavor... At one time my favorite..

Franks: That's a great point!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
    I believe they burn cow dung in their cookers in India, talk about lump ....
  :o

One of the things that I really love about this place is that no matter how professional, serious and business like a thread gets, there is always someone willing to bring it back to reality!   ;D

+ 27 to that, JC !!!!!

And thanks for setting it straight, Mr.I. Hawk.............. 8)

Now.......enough about Hot Pockets & Pizza Rolls, you two.......

.....unless they're wrapped in bacon & smoked on a KETTLE.......... ::)

Thanks, Franks.......that does put some perspective to this question......there is a different focus, a different size market & a different attitude toward grilling in other areas.......... it would be nice if Weber was a bit more flexible in regard to what got sold where, but I suppose that's their prerogative..................... :D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
When I first moved to the UK had been using gas to grill back home in Australia. When I got to the UK I bought the biggest gasser that would fit on my (little) balcony. Most of my friends in the UK asked why I was using gas and not charcoal. My argument was convenience and it was what I was used to. In my experience people in the UK were more used to grilling with charcoal than people in Aus (a bit of a genaralisation, but true in relation to people I know/knew).
Maybe Weber recognised this proclivity towards charcoal in the UK (and indeed in most of Europe) and decided to make a concerted effort to be a part of it. Unique products with an established reputation and a deliberate pricing strategy sees them enter the market as a premium product, it works, and so they are riding it for as long as it lasts. Sometimes a local (safe) market is somewhat neglected in the drive to break in to a new one.

Just my thoughts. oh...and a pic from the John Lewis in Edinburgh. :)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:07 PM »
If Weber is making the different colored kettles and master touches in the US, I think they could make decent money finding an outlet to sell them in the US.  I'll give you that you probably can't keep every hardware store in the US stocked with 5 different colors and multiple models of the kettles.  That said though I think they could either offer direct sales through the website, or work with Amazon.  Sell the many color varieties and maybe some more model types/accessories only though Amazon.  Maybe for a small premium like 20 - 30 bucks (for colors other than the main 2 - 3 stocked at hardware stores).  I think it could work personally.  I really feel like it's a missed opportunity by Weber. 

Now is the time to start cultivating a market for this sort of thing.  I understand they tried some of this stuff in the 60s/70s/80s and it may or may not have worked out of them.  However just because something didn't work 50, 40, even 30 years ago, doesn't mean it's not going to work now.  Like others have said people are becoming much more interested in refined food, and going beyond hotdogs/hamburgers and only using the grill to handle the meat in general.  Now's the time to start introducing this kind of stuff.  Start building and developing your market before it's completely there and some one else grabs them.

Also I really like the heat guards on those Mastertouches.  Even with glass reinforced nylon those handles can get HOT some times.  Same with the little nylon/plastic bit on the vent tab.  How are those 2 things not standard.  :(  :'(
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:20:03 PM by Johnpv »

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 12:19:15 AM »
I wouldn't mind waiting as much as 4 weeks for a custom kettle if Weber let us order direct from them. But they probably won't, considering their dedication to their resellers. They won't even let anyone drop prices or have a sale unless it's something that's discontinued. This evens the playing field, as I've been told by one reseller.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 04:38:12 AM »
OK - It's time for anarchy!!!

All of you Chicago area WKCers need to stage a protest right in front of Weber headquarters.  Grill up some food using your vintage reds, yellows, cados, blues, greens, etc (it will be a well-fed protest).  Big banner demanding equal access to color kettles.  Keep the protest going until management comes out, samples your food, and unilaterally agrees to your demands.

WE WILL BE IGNORED NO LONGER!!!!!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 04:53:14 AM »

Winz.......you're up early.......................... 8)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 05:01:26 AM »

Couldn't sleep.  Kept dreaming of having an ivory master touch....
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:22 AM »

Couldn't sleep.  Kept dreaming of having an ivory master touch....

I admire your singleness of purpose......

......I have other issues.....

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:43 AM »

Hey!

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 06:04:19 AM »

It's more about sleep than it is about clowns................. :o

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »
All of you Chicago area WKCers need to stage a protest right in front of Weber headquarters.

Winz

Yes.  And those of us too far flung to attend could perhaps send a face shot to be pasted on a post.  I would also be getting an Ivory Kettle....to my eyes it looks like a wonderful thing indeed.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 05:39:51 PM »
We have the same types of conversations on my car forums about when they don't bring certain models, engines, accessories, etc to the US and the answer remains the same; us enthusiast would LOVE it but we don't represent a random sampling of the general public.  I'm willing to bet that if you ask a stranger about a Weber charcoal grill, their mind would go right to a black grill.  They have a recognizable product that most likely acts as a cash cow.  They probably see no need to bring different colors to the US.  In other countries, where Weber isn't as established, the colors may be drawing attention and creating awareness.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS