Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help with a bent WGA handle  (Read 3441 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Need help with a bent WGA handle
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »
I could use some expertise from the group.  I've got an old (wood handles) WGA charcoal NIB.  I notoiced when I opened the box that one of the side handles is bent.  Rather than having two 90 degreee angles it's off a bit to one side.  I would really like to use this grill but the handle just bugs the crap out of me.  It appears to be a manufacturing error and I would like to fix it by making the handle square.  But I'm concerned about snapping the weld.  Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing it?

Also, I'm considering putting a CrayCort grate on it.  Has anyone tried he go anywhere Craycort yet?  It seems a bit much for a grill like this but i think it would be fun to pimp it out if I can fix the damn handle.

Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need help with a bent WGA handle
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

" It appears to be a manufacturing error"

Is the coating chipped, the porcelain finish?

Strange things have happened with even new cookers, but that would be a way to tell if it came like that..........

Bending it back is real tricky, as chipped or not, there's a very real risk of chipping the finish...............

As to a grate, check this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/first-cook-on-my-new-cga/msg46134/#msg46134

Another shot of Hank's......

Here's the NIB CGA I got from G and after I put some nice handles on it and cleaned it up (polishing the vent covers was all that was really needed.) Did you know that back in the day, "Go Anywhere" referred to cookers with and without corners?

I suppose Craycort would go well too............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »
Hank,

Thanks for the response.  With regard to the handle, the porcelain is not chipped, but now you've got me thinking that attempting to fix this will probably cause it to crack.  So I may just need to avert my eyes to the defective handle.

I can understand your concern regarding the weight and time to heat up the grill grates, but the craycort appears to be a bit thinner.  So that might work better.  Not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger on a craycort for this grill yet.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
I've smacked my WSM handle with a rubber mallet with no issues. Nice and straight now and no chipping.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
Instead of craycorts, why not just cut down an old grill of a gasser. You'll probably be able to pick one up for free from a gasser on the side of the road. That's what I did for both my CGA and SJ and it works a treat. After a few cooks you won't be able to tell if it's a craycort or not
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
I've smacked my WSM handle with a rubber mallet with no issues. Nice and straight now and no chipping.

Yeah it it looks like a rhombus you can probably bend it back with no major issues. I've done it before too but never to a new cooker. I wouldn't worry about snapping the weld. They are very strong but there is a small risk of cracking the porcelain. If it's gonna be a user anyway I say go for it!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
Tried the rubber mallet and was able to get it back in shape but the porcelain did chip a bit at the corners.  But it's almost under hidden by the handle.  I'll hit it with some black high-heat paint I have and you won't even be able to notice.  The welds held which is what I was concerned about.  Like Gummi said, it's a cooker so it'll definitely work.  Thanks all for your help!