Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question for the Guru's  (Read 6393 times)

Camp

• Smokey Joe
Question for the Guru's
« on: June 07, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
Hey Everyone.

I scored a Green "H" (1986) OTS that I had been eyeballing for a few years from behind a local barn.  8)

The lid and bowl are in very good condition, but it will need a full set of wooden handles and the sweeper mechanism.

The question is...

Since the old sweeper mechanism is obsolete, can I substitute the newer mechanism ?

Or, will I be violating an unwritten Grillfella code, and possibly get whacked ?

SS Green Performer, Blue OTP, Red MBH, Green OTS, 79 Black MBH, Blue 18.5 Platinum, Black OTG, and a brand new Spirit E gasser.

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Question for the Guru's
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »
The new sweeper will bolt right in place and not a code violation as long as you replace the wooden handles with other wooden handles.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:02:28 AM »
Congrats on your new green monster Camp! (See what I did there; Camp is from Boston, Camp found a green OTS, Fenway park is in Boston, Green Monster...hee, hee)

So the bottom line is yes. You can sub out the older sweeps for the new style, but you can't sweep the Orioles out of Fenway!

Marty

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »
As far as I know, these are the last of the stainless steel "H" drives.
I would grab one.
http://www.allpartsgrills.com/ecommerce/weber-charcoal-grill-cleaning-blade-kit.html

The replacement H drive is aluminized steel (not as cool as SS).

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
I would grab one.
http://www.allpartsgrills.com/ecommerce/weber-charcoal-grill-cleaning-blade-kit.html

Cheers for this - I didn't realize there were different versions of the H-Drive!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Camp

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
The new sweeper will bolt right in place and not a code violation as long as you replace the wooden handles with other wooden handles.  :)

Absoulutly !  I already have on of Brian's handle's. Beautiful work of art, and it supports the forum.

Congrats on your new green monster Camp! (See what I did there; Camp is from Boston, Camp found a green OTS, Fenway park is in Boston, Green Monster...hee, hee)

Thank's Maaaaaah-tee ! (That's my Boston accent) The new May-yah of Bawstin's name is Maaaah-tee.

I would grab one.

Thank's for the tip. I jumped on those, like Ted Kennedy on a bottle of Chivas.  ;D

I have 3 projects going now...

1 ) Replacing the bowl on my Green SS Performer.

2 ) Installing the bottom dampers on the Redhead MBH, that O'Glenn scored for me.

3 ) And now the Green Monster OTS.  ;)

Thanks for the help, I promise lotsa pics and posts.
SS Green Performer, Blue OTP, Red MBH, Green OTS, 79 Black MBH, Blue 18.5 Platinum, Black OTG, and a brand new Spirit E gasser.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »
Just a note for posterity:

DirectDrive, thanks a ton for putting up that link to the stainless steel ash sweeps.  I found a pair on a CL plastic Performer I picked up for some friends, and noticed how sweet those SS sweeps really are-- they clean up really well and seem super-durable.  So I went back to this thread and found several SS sweeps in stock, but they seem to be gone now.  The link you posted above now redirects to the conventional aluminized steel sweep #7444 for the lower price (the SS sweeps were $19.99. 

...I hesitated too long, I guess. 
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »

So......what is the part # for the stainless & the regular aluminized whatever stuff?

I was just a my Stubb's place, they had #7443 ...& ....#7444.....did not know which was which......

I have two sets of #7444 that I was going to swap out hex bolts (used, but decent) for so those could maybe be available for people who need the very old style.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »
I believe the 7444 is the new standard one, the H-style assembly.  It just replaced the 7409 in the last year or so.  I'm not sure what the 7443 is, perhaps the stainless sweep?

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »
The SS sets I received are labeled #90720. They are definitely more solid than the aluminum counterparts, heavier as well.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:38 AM »

Thanks for that guys.................I'm thinkin' #90720 must be an ereplacements number?

A Weber number, at least for something like this will be 4 digits........I don't so much need it just to order, but more to I. D. at retail....

""Quick Overview
90720 7444 Cleaning Blade Kit includes (1) 78911, 78912, 78913""

#90720 is the SKU #....which is the same listed for #7444.......this makes very little sense to me.........but it does clear up why I was questioning what all the hub-bub about the stainless was about.................#7444's  are thin & cheesey comparatively..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 03:47:49 AM »
I believe the 7444 is the new standard one, the H-style assembly.  It just replaced the 7409 in the last year or so.  I'm not sure what the 7443 is, perhaps the stainless sweep?

7443 is the 18.5 version of the "Aluminized Steel" sweep.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »
604, next time you're in DC I will buy you a beer!  I just called Weber with that stock number, and they have those sweeps in stock for like $13, with free shipping to boot.  Cheaper than the conventional aluminized steel, I believe!  So there is one happy Weber nerd at this end of the internet today.  Really appreciate your help, and the hint that yours came from the Mothership.  ;-)

Thanks too to Winz for identifying that mysterious stock number. 

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
Hey no problem Mike, glad the # worked out! and if I ever get to DC I may take you up on that beer offer  8)

I must admit I just called and ordered a few extra sets myself :)

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 05:14:59 AM »
I just ordered three myself.  Now what to do with the 5 sets of the aluminized steel ones that I ordered from various places attempting to get the stainless version.