Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: East meets West  (Read 1431 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
East meets West
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
East: Vidalia onions
West: Tri-tip beef

My first time grilling either one.

WEST:
The beef was a small one, 1.5lbs and pre-trimmed. I lit used coals and then pushed them to the side. The beef cooked for about 1 1/2-2hrs and was pulled "late" at about 150 degrees and wrapped in foil in the kitchen. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The meat was coated in olive oil and added salt/pepper/coriander. Back in the fridge for 2-3hrs. So, I started cooking it around 3-ish (We eat early, somewhere between 5-6pm on school nights.)

Not a lot of coals and lid temps were 250 until they died down to 170 and then I added 6 pieces of lump towards the finish. Image taken just after putting on grill:

What's happening here? More used coals lit.

With new ones then on top:

EAST:
Four of 'em:

Let's turn them now:

Look closely, one of the four is "missing"

One more, still with the largest of the four onions buried:

Cut in half, buttered, salt/pepper/vinegar but before butter etc. began to bubble:

Thanks for the assist, Mr. Purviance: http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/video-library/recipe-of-the-week/vegetables-and-sides/webers-recipe-of-the-weekmelted-onions

[A-T-S' ProTip: After cutting onions, put them flat side down and "pinch" the burnt parts off. Much easier than picking up hot onions, and more effective at removing burnt skin.]

Oh, and the meat? Tasty and fairly juicy despite leaving on longer than ideal and being a lean cut. Sorry, no pix there.

I was most interested in how the onions turned out. DO LIKE! However, next time I'll go easier on the vinegar. A bit overpowering.

Add your choice of greens and you've got dinner!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: East meets West
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »

Grate Cookup !!!!

But I gotta say this:

"Where's the Beef?"

Try real hard to get a pic of done tri-tip.....the Internet has way too few of 'em !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:17:16 AM »
East: Vidalia onions

MMMM Vidalia onions,, Those and Walla Walla onions, My two favorites. I have about 30 Walla Walla's growing in boxes
in the backyard and am patiently waiting for them to finish growing so I turn them into sandwiches.

Really nice cookup ATS
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:46:42 AM »
5-6pm is eating early? Hell, we usually eat as early as 4pm during the week. Lol
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-