Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Polishing your kettle  (Read 1284 times)

whatchusmokin

• Smokey Joe
Polishing your kettle
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »
So i know how good a kettle can look after a good rubdown with steel wool, but does anyone go a step further? Like using a polish like Flitz?

It says its safe for painted surfaces, so i doubt it would hurt the porcelain.

What other things do you guys do to make your kettles shine?

" I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds" -Unknown

saxart

• WKC Ranger
Re: Polishing your kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
I wouldn't use that...

The porcelain on a kettle is basically glass.  It's not paint.  What might be safe for paint may not be safe for glass (porcelain).   If it says "safe for use on glass" then I'd test it inside the lid to see if it does anything.  Any product that improves the shine of paint probably has a polishing compound in it that "could" scratch your kettle.

Having said that, there really isn't much you can do to improve the shine of glass (porcelain) in my opinion.  If it has scratches in it, you're really kind of left with them.  Porcelain is very hard which is why steel wool doesn't damage it when we use it to clean these kettles.

Sorry, not trying to be a wet-blanket, just don't want to see someone ruin a perfectly good kettle.   Hope this helps..   ???
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:38:01 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

whatchusmokin

• Smokey Joe
Re: Polishing your kettle
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:04:40 AM »
It does say safe on glass and claims to have no abrasives, but thats kinda what i thought, it might be safe, but it probably wouldn't do much. Thanks for your help!

" I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds" -Unknown