Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need advice on SS Performer tank  (Read 1967 times)

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
Need advice on SS Performer tank
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:10:11 AM »
Hey all, been a while since I've been here. I've come across a Performer tank that I want to pick up, but am not sure if it can even be used any more. This is the photo that was supplied to me. It appears to have a quick connect connection. My current SS Performer does not have a quick connect fitting, though in all fairness I did replace the regulator and have no original tank.

Need you guys to give me some warnings or advice as to it's current usefullness.

/weber propane tank.png by mikeinctown, on Flickr

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need advice on SS Performer tank
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »
Seems to have an OPD valve (triangle shape), so that's good.

Age will limit it's legal ability to be refilled. Ask for the date stamp on the side. If it's too old to be legally refilled (is it 12 years?) then you could still use it if you have a place that can re-certify it.

If after all that is OK, just get a quick-disconnect adapter for your regulator.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
My guess is that it's probably out of date.
Where I go for propane, they don't check for dates and they can fill a tank with a quick release so it would be useful for me.  If the propane dealers around you are by the book, it probably isn't.
You can buy a new one for $55ish so keep that in mind if you're going to pay for a recert. 
WTB 18 fruit

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:11:31 AM »
I'm going to call around and find out about a recertification. Are these considered 5lb tanks? When I blow up the photo it says TW 9.8#
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:15:19 AM by mikeinctown »

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
I recently bought a refurb'd OEM 5# tank on eBay for my rehab'd SS performer that has been re certified with new OPD valve and has standard connection, not the old quick connect like the one you are talking about. Here's the link.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111310034310

Alternatively, I do have the original gas hose & regulator with the quick connect fitting for sale too if you wanted to go that route too.  I upgrade to the newer gas hose & regulator with the standard connector on SS performer, so I no longer have a need for the original setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:21:23 AM »
...Are these considered 5lb tanks? When I blow up the photo it says TW 9.8#

9.8lbs is the Tare Weight of that particular tank; the "5lbs" refers to the weight (max capacity, minus a margin for safety) of the gas it stores.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Found a local place that will recertify for $5. Can't beat that with a stick. lol Hopefully the guy will wait a day or two for me to pick it up.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »

Found a local place that will recertify for $5. Can't beat that with a stick. lol Hopefully the guy will wait a day or two for me to pick it up.

That is awesome! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etruax

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:51:09 PM »
On my certification all they did was spray soap and look for leaks.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »

that's great. what kind of store is it? And welcome back!  8)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »

Need you guys to give me some warnings or advice as to it's current usefullness.

I picked one up from an estate sale I was at for 5 bucks.  It was expired, but my local lumber yard will fill them for me. 
Even with a completely empty tank, they can only get ~3.5 pounds per tank. 

Just a couple weeks ago, I filled 3 of these 5# tanks and a 20# tank for a total weight of 28.5 lbs @ 1.05lb = $29.93
That works out to ~$3.67 per 5lb tank.  Up from last year, but not enough to worry about.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »

It is a propane and propane accessories store.  :o

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 05:36:46 AM »

[/quote]

It is a propane and propane accessories store.  :o
[/quote]

...the boy's not right. ;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC