Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Searing grate set: worth it?  (Read 3112 times)

Ashcan Ted

• Smokey Joe
Searing grate set: worth it?
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »
I need a new 22 grate and my eye is wandering over to the sear cast iron grate insert set.  It looks so cool on the Weber video, but I'm hesitant about the price and the cast iron grate "getting in the way" when i dont need it.  I also like to make my own diagonal grill marks, but this set just looks so neat!  Any opinions?  Is it worth it? 

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Searing grate set: worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:57:34 AM »
I like mine but it's a much heavier grate and I tend to break out my standard non flips when I haven't a need to sear. I usually reserve mine for high dollar steaks and super thick Iowa pork chops...

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:42:56 AM »
I use mine all the time.  When not using it I store it on the bottom rack of my Performer.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:53:19 AM »

Here, watch this video:

Green tag day means 75% off at the local thrift..............

Sear grate, $1.25.......check around..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 05:15:08 AM »
I like the way you think Buckie. When I want a good cast iron sear on something I just grab the cooking grate out of my Q100 and toss it on the charcoal grate. Works grate!

Note.....I paid less for the Q100 (complete with bottle adapter, stand, and cover) on Craigslist than they sell the searing grate for  ;D
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:24:05 AM »
I need a new 22 grate and my eye is wandering over to the sear cast iron grate insert set.  It looks so cool on the Weber video, but I'm hesitant about the price and the cast iron grate "getting in the way" when i dont need it.  I also like to make my own diagonal grill marks, but this set just looks so neat!  Any opinions?  Is it worth it?

Like you, I also needed a new grill grate and decided to buy the Gourmet System grate (but with just the standard insert) Many times I use it to do a "reverse indirect" where I leave the middle completely open and cook on the periphery. One less piece of grate to have to clean off later.

I've read nice things about the sear grate and will one day pick it up. The other Gourmet System inserts have had mixed reviews, either because of limited size or other. But I think it's just all personal preference and what you may already have in your bag of tricks and so on that influences opinion.

The other ideas above are fine alternatives. But you may not want to wait for a thrift store deal or have another grill's grate you could repurpose. To answer your question about whether or not it would get in the way: unlikely. Your only real concern would be if something small fell down into the coals, but for that there are veggie baskets and such. Everything else will cook fine on it!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
I love mine and would purchase it again in a heartbeat. I also got the wok for the Gourmet system. Since I put the sear grate on, I haven't put the standard grate middle piece back in even once.

Here's a couple pics...

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »
Dallas crate and barrel outlet usually has 4 of those inserts for $9 on the shelf. If you have one near you you could probably have it shipped to your local store.

I usually just set it on top of grate to the side and make a 2 zone fire. Works good for me
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.