Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kingsford Hickory Smokehouse Style Briquets  (Read 4503 times)

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
Kingsford Hickory Smokehouse Style Briquets
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
I saw a small bag of Kingsford Hickory Smokehouse Style Briquets at Lowes and thought I would give it a try it.  While I grilled a steak indirect on the Smokey Joe tonight, I added two Kingsford Smokehouse Briquets to the already ignited Stubbs and let the Briquets do their thing for about 15 minutes, and finished the steak with reverse sear.  I would have to say the end result was excellent.  What I liked best about these briquettes is that they did not ignite as wood chips often do and they imparted an enhanced flavor to the steak.  I would recommend trying these:

http://www.kingsford.com/products/details/kingsford-smokehouse-style-with-hickory/

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kingsford Hickory Smokehouse Style Briquets
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
Excellent - thanks for the tip.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
I have occasionally seen such "specialty" Kingsford briqs available ... but I must play devil's advocate here ... how does only 2 freakin' briquets alter the flavor of anything? Everything else about your technique sounds simple, effective.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:24:38 PM »
P.S. I'm a big fan of the Smokey Joe, "limitations and all" (I have an '87) ... going on some 30 years now. So I always enjoy reading about simple cooks done on one! :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »
The product states that 6 or 7 should be used but I would assume that recommendation would be for a 22 inch kettle, so for the first time using this product I used 2 with the SJ.  Maybe I would try 3 the next time. I guess it depends on how much smoke you want.  To clarify my post, these briquets did not ignite into flame the way wood chips often do and leave a burnt taste.  For the SJ two of these worked okay with a steak.  If I was not pleased I would not post.  For myself, I do not try to achieve heavy smoke taste.

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:03:47 PM »
I like Kingsfords wood type charcoal you should try the other blend types they offer. But you can take it up a notch or two by throwing a couple of pieces of wood just before you put the grill on.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:05:28 PM by Cuda Dan »
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
.. If I was not pleased I would not post. ...

Hey, I appreciate the clarification, really. NO NEED to only post about what worked/what you liked. I didn't realize these things were kinda sorta like smoke pieces and not standard briquets with a bit 'o flavoring.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
I have occasionally seen such "specialty" Kingsford briqs available ... but I must play devil's advocate here ... how does only 2 freakin' briquets alter the flavor of anything? Everything else about your technique sounds simple, effective.

You'd be amazed at how little it takes to get a good effect sometimes,thanks for the review Jack !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:14 AM »
The product states that 6 or 7 should be used but I would assume that recommendation would be for a 22 inch kettle, so for the first time using this product I used 2 with the SJ.  Maybe I would try 3 the next time. I guess it depends on how much smoke you want.  To clarify my post, these briquets did not ignite into flame the way wood chips often do and leave a burnt taste.  For the SJ two of these worked okay with a steak.  If I was not pleased I would not post.  For myself, I do not try to achieve heavy smoke taste.

How big are these briqs in relation to the stardard Kingsford charcoal?
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
They are about the same size as the Stubbs that I used, different color. 

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Might have to try them..  I been eying up a bag of mesquite flavor briquettes for awhile I guess now I finally will pick some up.  Planning to do some grilling on Monday so I need charcoal anyways so will see what happens.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)