Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rehab a double rivet on the lid  (Read 3099 times)

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Rehab a double rivet on the lid
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:25:23 AM »
Anybody ever tried sanding/resealing, etc a double rivet handle while still leaving it on the lid?

I have taken a double rivet off of one by prying it apart with a screwdriver and replacing it with one of Brian's, but I have a lid I would like to leave the original handle on because it is still tight and the wood is not rotting.  It is just very faded and weathered looking.

I figured I could lay down some plastic sheets and painters tape tight around the entire top of the grill and try to work on that way, but I was wondering if anybody had done this before and had any tips?

Thanks.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rehab a double rivet on the lid
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:31:38 AM »
Good question. I'm in the same situation. Don't want to hassle removing / tossing the old handle. And in my case, would be happy just to see it replenished and shined up.

My thought was to use rags to soak tung oil or something a just let it repeatedly soak. But I'm not aware of any threat to the lid's paint necessarily? (tape and/or plastic is likely a good idea however)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:44:54 AM »
I did it once. I covered the handle straps in blue painters tape and covered the area around the handle with newspaper. No dripping or staining issues.

Sorry I didn't take in progress pics, but here was the refinished handle.

Hope that helps.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 06:11:50 AM »
That looks great Craig.  If mine came out looking that good I was be very pleased.

Did you sand that at all?  I was planning on using the Minwax Tung Oil Finish.  Think just that is enough, or should I put anything else on top of the tung oil?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »
I sanded mine. Then did Minwax walnut gel stain. I chose to finish it off with a clearcoat sealer. Overkill I think. The Gel Stain would probably be enough.

I cant find my picture of the sanded handle...

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
I was planning on using the Minwax Tung Oil Finish. 

My "B" WSM has a double rivet handle and I gave it a light sanding and refinished in place. Tape and newspaper are your friends.

I would use teak oil finish myself. It's a marine grade finish so it's going to stand up to the elements without an additional finish..
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
I did the same on my 'A' code CGA... 2 of the 3 double rivet handles were in good shape, just needed a little TLC. As already stated... tape & newspaper. Can't wait to see your results!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I figured I could lay down some plastic sheets
and painters tape tight around the entire top of the grill and try to work on that way?

That's what I did, then applied 2-3 coats of spar varnish. I did not sand.
The handle was thirsty, and looked quite dry and light coloured, then turned darker after applying.

Before and After:

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »
Mac, I love that citrus peel finish on the blaik porcelain!  8)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
The handle looks great, Mac! And like Craig said, that citrus peel finish looks awesome!  Great cleanup job, all around!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 06:14:18 AM »
I can't wait Max to see what you have in store   :D
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"