Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash catcher question from a new guy  (Read 1812 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Ash catcher question from a new guy
« on: May 15, 2014, 04:47:38 PM »
Hey guys I'm new around here and I'm just getting into kettles (just bought a third one, Green OTG). In looking over the different generations of kettles I can't help but notice that the old style ash catcher (the twist one) seemed a lot studier and with fewer failure points on it. I know from experience the spring clips rust and snap and it just seems a solid piece is better.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Was there some hidden flaw to it? If I'm right, why would Weber change to this design?

-AJ

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ash catcher question from a new guy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
Bean counters
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
^ that, hippies, and lazy people.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 05:51:12 PM »
Before selling it, my only Weber with spring clips sat outside, uncovered for 10 years and the clips looked and worked like new.

My only experience with twist ash catcher is on my dad's '75 (18.5") and it's always a PITA to remove it, and is a little too easily bent.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
Before selling it, my only Weber with spring clips sat outside, uncovered for 10 years and the clips looked and worked like new.

My only experience with twist ash catcher is on my dad's '75 (18.5") and it's always a PITA to remove it, and is a little too easily bent.

Interesting, I guess I could see how that would happen. I wish I hadn't thrown out my father's old 22. It was an early 80's grey ash color that lived outside for twenty years. The handles were rotted off and the grates were rusted out, but me being a moron didn't even think to replace the parts. :-[

On a side note, anyone converted an ash tray to the OTG pan?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »

Interesting, I guess I could see how that would happen. I wish I hadn't thrown out my father's old 22. It was an early 80's grey ash color that lived outside for twenty years. The handles were rotted off and the grates were rusted out, but me being a moron didn't even think to replace the parts. :-[

We don't beat ourselves up over stuff like this. Think of all the people who sell or give away Webers in good shape for the Flavor-Of-The-Month-Ceramic-Egg-Cooker-Thing for hundreds of dollars. Or people who switched to gas because their hands got black charcoal dust on them. Don't get me started.

As for your last question, yes. All you need are the compatible parts, if available, depending on the year of your kettle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »

Don't beat yourself up too bad. At least it was black and not a colored one! Anyways, there's plenty of opportunities to make new family memories with kettles old and new.

Check out this writeup we did on how to switch from a OTS pan to OTG catcher>>>> http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

Let us know if you have any questions!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791