Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blue OTG purchased on eBay - damaged  (Read 1849 times)

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
Blue OTG purchased on eBay - damaged
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
I won an auction in February for a NIB blue OTG on eBay. I was in Arizona for the winter but had the package shipped to my Minnesota address where it was received by my dad. The box arrived intact and showed no sign of damage. When I returned to MN a couple of weeks ago and opened the box, however, the kettle inside had bent handles and associated chipped porcelain at the handle weld points and also a chip on the rim. The grill was damaged before it was shipped to me and apparently packaged in a different box that showed no damage. Because the 30 day protection period has passed I am unable to receive help from eBay. The seller (DKS Group), after much back and forth communication, has finally agreed to a refund but will not pay for return shipping. [I will NEVER buy an item from this outfit again.] So now I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep the grill or return it and eat the cost of return shipping. I've got $154.99 into it thus far. Input appreciated. Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:00:31 PM by Dale Benson »
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
Re: Blue OTG purchased on eBay - damaged
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
Have you contacted Weber? They have great customer service, from what I've heard. They may be the best bet for getting a replacement lid or whatever you need. They probably won't ask for the damaged one back, either (no shipping cost for you).

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
It could have very well been damaged in transit. I have had two arrive directly from the Weber warehouse that had bent handles and cracked porcelain. The boxes showed no signs of damage.

Dale Benson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
Yeah, checked with Weber but was informed they won't warrant anything purchased via eBay or Craig's List. I really don't see this as their responsibility anyway. I'm quite certain that the grill was already damaged before it was shipped. There is simply no physical way that the handles could have been bent without leaving marks in/on the box. Also, the box itself had a few old labels and a place where a previous label had actually been cut off. Bottom line is I have to decide whether or not I want to keep a beautiful blue OTG which is no longer being made, even if it does have chips in the enamel at the base of the handles.
Dale
Have 22" Yellow MBH will trade for 22" Lime :-)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
I get that Weber won't warranty it, but will they sell you a replacement bowl?

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
Bummer, Dale.  I have a beautiful blue OTG with wood handles for sale here in Tucson but heard you had that one waiting for you.

Others would probably be more aggressive ... but I would bend the handles back and cook on it.  YMMV.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »
I kind of like imperfections. I also think it's a shame when grills are collected and not used. I see a scarred kettle as one with history and a service record of sorts!

I say just keep her and love her for who she is! ;-)

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle