Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rehabbed 2 Tone Red SS Performer  (Read 4961 times)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Rehabbed 2 Tone Red SS Performer
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »
I picked up this EI vent code SS performer a few weeks back and have been slowly bringing it back to life. The grill was in very good shape when I picked it up so it didn't take too much effort to bring it back to cooking status. I replaced the hose & regulator with the Weber new style OPD hose & regulator setup. The burner and ignitor was also replaced along with the one touch system and both charcoal and cooking grates. The cart was also taken apart, sanded and refreshed with a new coat of Rustoleum high heat gloss black spray paint. The finish wasn't as glossy as I would've liked it, but a little car wax helped in that perspective. Lastly, a restore just wouldn't be complete without new handles so I bought some of Brian's creations. A shout out to HeyJude for the part recommendations, downthehatch for the 7409 One Touch kit, Gummi for his tips and insight, Zavod for the beautiful handles, and everyone else who restored a SS before I did....your posts were very helpful and informative for my restore.

First inaugural cook was prime rib today for Mother's Day. Pictures are below. 

Only the Best for Mothers http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=10567

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Rehabbed 2 Tone Red SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
Awesome! Are you trying to source the shelf? I really like the flanged lid bale rollers. I have been meaning to add them to mine too.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:05:06 PM »
After i took the pictures, I realized that I had set aside the shelf in the basement after cleaning it.  The shelf is on the cart now. I'll need to re-spray the shelf to freshen it up too. As for the rollers, it looks sharp and I like them more than the original.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
Lol, your weber emblem is also missing in the last pic. I HATE it when I set up photo ops and realize something is missing after posting.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:43 PM »
Emblem, thermometer(in the first couple pics) and shelf. LOL. The darn emblem keeps falling off so I have to find a way to keep it on.

Did I tell you I love this performer?  The gas assist is so nice to have and totally worth it. My coals are ready faster than using the weber lighter cubes. The SS work surface is so useful too, especially when pulling the 14# prime rib off today.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:16:23 PM by crumbsnatcher »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »
Emblem, thermometer(in the first couple pics) and shelf. LOL. The darn emblem keeps falling off so I have to find a way to keep it on.

Did I tell you I love this performer?  The gas assist is so nice to have and totally worth it. My coals are ready faster than using the weber lighter cubes. The SS work surface is so useful too, especially when pulling the 14# prime rib off today.

Yeah I'm sure you mentioned it a few dozen times already.  ;D I love the SS performer. I routinely call it "the best charcoal grill weber made" Followed by the Mastertouch in a close second.  8) ymmv.

I think I mentioned this before but you can try servo tape on the back of the emblem, or roughen up the posts a pit and put a dab of epoxy on them when it's through the panel.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:10:36 AM »
Awesome job.  I'm in the middle of rehabbing a green SS right now.  I had to cut, bend, and weld in new cross supports for the top frame.  Its been a fun project so far.  I'm about to strip and repaint everything.  Seeing pics like these are what keep me motivated to get it done.  They are some great looking grills.
-Keith

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:28 AM »
Great Job on the SS. That is quite a pair!  8)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 06:42:52 AM »
Very nice rehab..  Looks like that grill is better than new!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
I'd love one of these, but just haven't managed to find one in decent shape. I came close to a blue one a month ago, but missed it by a couple hours. Ugh. If I'm going to get one, it'll need to be clean.

If Weber ever introduces a new, premium performer with a better table surface and a cool color I may just sell a few off and buy it... I'm not holding my breath.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments. It was a fun project and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I was fortunate the performer was even still available the next day after it was listed. It was a good thing I called the guy at 7am to inquire about the grill because a handful of calls came in after I got to his house.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »

Awesome job.  I'm in the middle of rehabbing a green SS right now.  I had to cut, bend, and weld in new cross supports for the top frame.  Its been a fun project so far.  I'm about to strip and repaint everything.  Seeing pics like these are what keep me motivated to get it done.  They are some great looking grills.

The cross support is definitely the weakest link in the grill. Water just collect there and have no where to drain.  Show some pictures of your rehab when completed. I'd love to see how your support cross bar turned out.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »

I think I mentioned this before but you can try servo tape on the back of the emblem, or roughen up the posts a pit and put a dab of epoxy on them when it's through the panel.

I went back and re-read your original PM to me with the SS rehab tips and saw that you did mention these tips on how to keep the emblem in place on the cart.  I went searching and saw this 3M double side tape in my tool box so I'll give his a shot. Thanks for the reminder Lawrence! 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:56:48 AM by crumbsnatcher »

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »

The cross support is definitely the weakest link in the grill. Water just collect there and have no where to drain.  Show some pictures of your rehab when completed. I'd love to see how your support cross bar turned out.

Yup. I think that is exactly what happened with mine. Previous owner lived on a wooded lot and I don't think the moisture ever had the chance to evaporate from under the cover. They were so weak that I literally folded the cross pieces in half once I cut them out. I don't want to hijack, but here is a teaser after I got the new supports in

-Keith

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »
OoPeZoO....looks very good!  nicely done sir!