Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Inexpensive temp controller ??  (Read 3824 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Inexpensive temp controller ??
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:54 PM »
i'll show you in the vid, but this one is actually pretty quick. I was impressed.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
Interesting, makes me feel iffy about it.   A bi-metal spring doesn't sound like a great way to control the temp.  Bi-metal thermometers are REALLY slow, and can be grossly inaccurate, up to 50 degrees or more.  I'm not trying to put the product down or anything, just trying to get a full grasp on it.
For a thermometer fast is good and wanted.
For butterfly valve control for this application, lightning-quick valve operation is not needed.
It would probably be too expensive and complicated, anyway.

Looking forward to the video.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:51 AM »
Interesting, makes me feel iffy about it.   A bi-metal spring doesn't sound like a great way to control the temp.  Bi-metal thermometers are REALLY slow, and can be grossly inaccurate, up to 50 degrees or more.  I'm not trying to put the product down or anything, just trying to get a full grasp on it.
A theoretical analysis is very interesting, but as the saying goes the proof of the pudding in the eating, plus I am trained as an experimental scientist, so when I get home I shall have a couple of these controllers waiting for me so I can play with them.  Troy's reports on these controllers are also good stuff  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
Did you make the video yet? Ha ha. Just kidding. Somehow, I saw the website for the tiptoptemp and ended up here on a google search.

I only have one question for anyone that has one of these who cares to chime in. How many hours are you getting at a consistent temperature in the smoking range of 225-275?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:45:18 PM by AZ Monsoon »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »
Crap. I forgot all about it. This weekend!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk