Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sear first or after?  (Read 4017 times)

Philx1979

• Smokey Joe
Sear first or after?
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:27:43 AM »
Whats your preferred method of say cooking a burger?

Would you sear first and then roast or reverse?

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Sear first or after?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
I normally sear first.  I just did some wings last week and I seared them all first and then indirect at around 350 degree to finish them off.  Worked out great.  It was my first time doing whole wings. 

I guess it depends what I'm cooking.  I'm interested in what some other more season grillers do as I only have a year of experience on my kettle so I'm far less experienced than many others on this site.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:29:53 AM »
I would sear a burger first.  I've never tried a reverse sear on a burger, though so who knows? 
My problem with reverse searing in general is that nothing happens when you put food on the grill.  I know sometimes grilling takes patience but I want to see smoke and hear that sizzle as the meat his the grill!  I tried to reverse sear some chicken the other day and after a few minutes, I couldn't take the silence so I threw them (thighs) on the direct side and burnt the crap out of them due to the sugar in the marinade.  I knew it was going to happen but I couldn't freakin' stop myself! 
WTB 18 fruit

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
I always sear first. Mostly because I fail to have a hot enough fire at the end to get a good sear.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
Burgers cook quick so I sear first and rarely have to cook more. For thick steaks, I build a hot fire on one side if the kettle and cook the steaks indirectly, turning often, until internal temp is about 15 degrees away from target. Then I sear each side, and let rest   Final temp is usually pretty close to what I am shooting for.

Winz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »

For burgers, I find they come out best if I just place them on the grate directly over the coals and turn them often until done.   

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 01:16:22 AM »

For burgers, I find they come out best if I just place them on the grate directly over the coals and turn them often until done.

+1 unless they are super thick homestyle patties. I usually sear first as it's more forgiving. Its alot easier to overcook your food by searing at the end imo. Unless of course your piece of meat is super thick and you have more leeway.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 02:15:39 AM »
If you are too focused on achieving grill marks on your meat when you reverse sear, you are likely to overcook your food if you are not paying attention.  The food may be cooked before you achieve the desired searing.  I recall seeing a video on the meathead web site where meathead and someone from Weber did a comparison test with steaks; it is really a matter of preference as to sear first or reverse sear.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:54:28 AM »

Here is the link on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnuKEFquBt0

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
I sear steaks and burgers first and then move to indirect to hit the temp I want.  I do chicken indirect first and then move to direct to crisp up the skin before taking off the grill.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »
I tried to reverse sear some chicken the other day and after a few minutes, I couldn't take the silence so I threw them (thighs) on the direct side and burnt the crap out of them due to the sugar in the marinade.  I knew it was going to happen but I couldn't freakin' stop myself!

^^^^^ THIS is good!!!!

I like this....................... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"