Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: mounting cyberque  (Read 1780 times)

sconnieque

• Smokey Joe
mounting cyberque
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »
Any one have a suggestion on how best to drill into a kettle to mount a cyberque ?  Im a little bit nervous about cracking the porcelin.

Thanks
sconnieque

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: mounting cyberque
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
First. is it a classic collectible or just a regular grill?
Second, whats a Cyberque?
Third, it can be done.. here are some tips.

1. Never use a center punch, the porcelain will chip out.
Use painters tape or maksing tape on the area to be drilled. This minimizes any potential problem with the drill bit doing major damage.
Start witha  small sharp (new) drill bit. Then use a step bit or unitibt to get to the right size hole.Finally, take your time!
Piece of cake, right?

Search for mounting a thermometer, someone did a right up on how to drill into a lid.
Good Luck with the project!
AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

sconnieque

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
 Thanks for replying ... It's a new 26.75

The tape is a great suggestion ... sorry I wasn't more clear - It is a BBQ GURU / Cyber Q model
can't wait for the temps and weather to cooperate here in Wisconsin and fire it up

sconnie

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »
Do you really want to drill a hole in a new 26 kettle? Can't you just run the cable under the lid?
How about through the thermometer hole, since your using a bbq guru. I assume its for the temp probes. Doesn't the fan attach at the bottom?  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
as others have said, use a few layers of masking tape. start with a small bit, then work your way up.
Keep your bits lubricated and take it slower than you normally would.

I would advice putting the hole above the level of the charcoal grate (assuming you are using the weber adapter for the fan) - too low and the fan might start blowing ash all around and that's not good.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:20:13 PM by Troy »

sconnieque

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 05:19:01 AM »
Do you really want to drill a hole in a new 26 kettle? Can't you just run the cable under the lid?
How about through the thermometer hole, since your using a bbq guru. I assume its for the temp probes. Doesn't the fan attach at the bottom?  8)

That's why I'm nervous ...   The GURU folks said to drill a 1" hole to insert the fan, and to leave the bottom vents closed so the fan provides the oxygen.

sconnieque

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:20:15 AM »
as others have said, use a few layers of masking tape. start with a small bit, then work your way up.
Keep your bits lubricated and take it slower than you normally would.

I would advice putting the hole above the level of the charcoal grate (assuming you are using the weber adapter for the fan) - too low and the fan might start blowing ash all around and that's not good.

thanks for the good advice, that's why I asked ...
sconnie