Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettles on Craigslist  (Read 1895 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Kettles on Craigslist
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
I live in Texas, and while we get plenty of 22.5 OTS on Craigslist, and the occasional OTG, Performer and/or WSM, I very rarely see old Webers in different colors (Red, Green, etc...) and/or any old Webers with the metal bowl handle. 

It seems other areas of the country seem to have these pop up more frequently.  Is there any reason for this?  When Webers were first sold, were they only sold in limited areas such that Texas probably doesn't have as much inventory as other areas of the country?
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettles on Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
Yep, if you live in the San Francisco or in Oregon they seem to be everywhere. I just found an old lime but that was an extremely rare occurrence in north central Indiana.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
In Texas they like it BIG and they like 'em BLACK......'nuff said.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:33:49 AM »
I'm surprised that the brown kettles (especially 26"ers) aren't as common in Texas...

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:04:23 AM »
tb80, I share your feelings.  It's hard pickings for us who collect vintage webers down in Texas.  I have noticed a few states where vintage Webers hardly ever pop up, and most of them are in the South, and span from Texas to Florida.  As far as southern states go, SoCal and Arizona seem to be a little more blessed.

Of course, the closer you get to Chicago, the greater abundance you will find of vintage Webers.  My guess is that in the 60's and 70's, Weber could only focus on so many new territories to expand into and those in Texas and the Southeast US just didn't make the cut.  As you are probably familiar with, the standard type charcoal BBQ down here is Texas in the black barrel type grill or off-set type smoker barrel.  Those were what people were familiar with and Weber probably saw a big hurdle in overcoming that down here in Texas.

MBH's are extrememly rare in Texas and most were probably brought in when somebody moved into state.  I am not even sure an MBH was EVER sold off-the-shelf in the state of Texas.  You see a few Mastertouch's here and there, but yes, 90% of Webers you see in Texas are 18 and 22 OT Silvers.  C'est la vie of a Texas weber collector...  ::)

Hope you like black!   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:06:49 AM by MaxBobcat »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »
"As you are probably familiar with, the standard type charcoal BBQ down here is Texas in the black barrel type grill or off-set type smoker barrel.  Those were what people were familiar with and Weber probably saw a big hurdle in overcoming that down here in Texas."

^^^^^ THIS...........Texas & other places along that parallel, are just used to a different type cooker.......Weber may have even been laughed at back in the day................ ::)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
Colored kettles are fairly sparse along Tornado Alley ( Texas- South Dakota) it seems. As for MBH kettles, that's another story. Mainly black of course when they do come up on CL. Being here in Nebraska where we wear Husker red, one would thine that back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s at least red kettles outnumbered black 10 to one around here. I remember several neighbors had them in the 1980s when I was a kid. My paternal Grandparents had a red 18 (bought new in the mid 60s) that would eventually become the first of many kettles in my stable. I would also think that Yellows would have been huge over in Iowa back in the 70s with the Hawkeyes and all.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:29:51 AM by Craig »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
All I can say is LOL... most of the colors are in bobcats back yard.

Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
Well it doesn't hurt to have Grillfellas "takin care of dat thing for ya". Thing being a lack of color in local territory.  8)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »
Many of the older ones here migrated with snowbirds.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
All I can say is LOL... most of the colors are in bobcats back yard.

;D ;D ;D

Thanks to some wonderful purchases from WKC agents in the Midwest!