Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Fire Blower  (Read 9253 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Old Fire Blower
« on: April 26, 2014, 03:07:11 PM »
So I picked up this little gem pretty recently.   You can find it in some of Weber's old catalogs from the 60's.  I'm not entirely sure if Weber actually made their own or not.  They run off a lantern battery, 6 volts.   I've seen two different styles, one with an enclosure on the base for the battery to fit into, and without the enclosure.  The one in the Weber catalog just shows the blower and motor just clamped to the battery.   The one I have has the battery enclosure.  And yes, it does work!  From what I've learned about them so far, it seems they are made by A. Rowley Tool and Eng. Co. out of Green Lake, Wi.   This particular one is called the "Miracle Fire Maker" and is "Pat. Pending".  The way it works, is you slide the level on the top front of the battery case.  When you slide it over, it makes contact on the battery terminal inside and starts the motor.  If you look in the first photo, there is also a sliding cover on the side of blower.  It's closed in that photo, but when you slide it open, its exposes some vent holes where the fan spins inside.  When you close it back up, the fan RPM's speed up.  Simple design, but effective.

Here are a couple photos from an old Weber catalog cover and of the contents of one of the pages inside.

Kettle collector AND cooker!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Old Fire Blower
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »
nice find!

there's a company making something similar now too, its called the bbq dragon.
the company seems really spammy, i'm surprised they're not trying to spam our forums actually

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:23:56 PM »
Very cool Jeff!  As with all your Weber items, it looks in immaculate condition.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »
Pretty neat!  First one to surface?  Where did you come across it?  Is the idea that you just hold it by that wire and point it at the smoldering coals?

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Actually, another member has one as well. It's in the accessories gallery. Einrej is the owner.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
Nice find. I'm also interested in how it was to be used.

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
When I asked about that blower in your charcoal bin thread I didn't mean you had to run right out and buy one. :)

Did you also find one of those shirts? I hope so, I'm looking forward to the photo shoot duplicating the cover of that catalog.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »
Jeff is the Weber Whisperer... Congrats!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
Great find Jeff, so how does it blow?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
Sweet fire blower!  8)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 12:28:59 AM »
Very Cool Jeff, some action shots would be great
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »
Upload a YouTube video so we can see it in action and hear it! I love seeing these rare items pop up.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:12 AM »
When I asked about that blower in your charcoal bin thread I didn't mean you had to run right out and buy one. :)

Did you also find one of those shirts? I hope so, I'm looking forward to the photo shoot duplicating the cover of that catalog.

This one was in my plans for a while now...just had to locate one!  As far as the fancy, way cool clothing, that's something I'm still working on, the rest is coming together nicely so far!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 05:04:39 AM »
So a few of you have asked how it works, or maybe a few more pics.  I did a quick search on YouTube, but didn't find anything showing one of these, I did find an original sales brochure and have it posted below with a few other pics.   The idea is to hang it on the side of your kettle, or stand it in front of a fireplace.  Once you have your wood or charcoal starting to smolder, you aim the fire blower at it and turn it on.  The air blowing against the embers will naturally accelerate the burn process and get everything going much faster.  Oh, and Anakimana, yeah, I think I'll try and upload my own video to YouTube and post it here.  Not sure if I'll be cooking today, but next time I do, I'll light the coals with this blower and record it.

If anyone would like one of these, here is a link to a similar one on Ebay right now.  This ad says that the blower is untested though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131174338996?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Here are some more pics.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
Very cool, I didn't realize it hooked on to the bowl.