Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: gormet grate  (Read 1738 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
gormet grate
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
to those that have it do you use the add ons for the center or do you find yourselves just leaving it in? need to buy some grates just wondering if it would be worth the extra 15 for the gormet over the normal hinged style

Jet300

• WKC Brave
Re: gormet grate
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
The only extra I use is the cast iron sear plate.  That works well. Otherwise the regular center is in. 

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »
I have one and I have the sear grate for it. Lately I have been placing a wok I bought on amazon in the hole, works great! Also I leave the center out to pile up the vortex and not have to worry about the grate touching...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
The gourmet grate it also made out of thicker metal if I am not mistaken.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
I have one and I have the sear grate for it. Lately I have been placing a wok I bought on amazon in the hole, works great! Also I leave the center out to pile up the vortex and not have to worry about the grate touching...

I put my carbon wok in mine as well and it is awesome.  Don't use it for anything else. 

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
I have two of them and never use them. I'd rather use the regular flip up grates.

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »

I have a gourmet system grate on one of my kettles with the CI sear grate in the center.  It is my dedicated searing kettle.  I put the baskets together beneath the CI grate for cooking steaks. For pork chops and fish, I move the baskets apart with about a 6" to 7" gap between them.  This still heats the CI grate for cooking and produces nice sear marks but does not overcook the pork and fish.  Keep in mind you can achieve the same thing by buying a standard grate and throwing the sear grate on top of it. The removable center is probably best for use with a Vortex. I do not have one so I will defer to input by someone that does.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:36:06 PM »

I have a gourmet system grate on one of my kettles with the CI sear grate in the center.  It is my dedicated searing kettle.  I put the baskets together beneath the CI grate for cooking steaks. For pork chops and fish, I move the baskets apart with about a 6" to 7" gap between them.  This still heats the CI grate for cooking and produces nice sear marks but does not overcook the pork and fish.  Keep in mind you can achieve the same thing by buying a standard grate and throwing the sear grate on top of it. The removable center is probably best for use with a Vortex. I do not have one so I will defer to input by someone that does.
it's honestly a "look at all the bells and whistles it has!" deal

IndianBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 10:20:44 PM »
I have the gourmet system and I think if you like getting fancy toys you can buy it. It is also sometimes frustrating that the middle piece will fall off when you are removing the full grates to put in baskets or for cleaning as it just sits on top of main grates. I think you can rather invest in some 'grill grates' if you are looking for a change. My weber came with the GBS but if i am going to replace i would rather buy just the normal hinged ones.
Each purchase of a weber grill is a very special and rare occasion for me as they are rare to come by around here.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:17 AM »
I have one and prefer the normal flip up grate, the only thing I use mine for is the vortex, love it for that

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:04:36 AM »
I only use mine for my vortex, otherwise I just use my old flip up grate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »
I regularly use the sear grate, and CI griddle. Used the CI wok a few times, but recently sold it to @jeffrackmo. I also just used the Poultry Roaster for the first time, and it was a success. None of these items are necessary... I can just as easily cook without them.... but... every one of them was acquired on clearance sales... I've got 'em , so I'm gonna use 'em.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"