Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tables on newer Performers  (Read 1546 times)

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
Tables on newer Performers
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
I've been lurking around a while for a newer (non-SS) used Performer, and I'm seeing a lot of beat-up tables. Is this something that can be avoided with regular cleaning and using a cover? Or did Weber just go cheap on that component?
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tables on newer Performers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »
... Is this something that can be avoided with regular cleaning and using a cover? ...

Yes. I picked up a 2006 model last summer with a nice table top. I think the previous owner used a generic vinyl cover from a gas grill. I'd be somewhat concerned that the sun could hurt the plastic top, but others here with more experience will have to chime in, if theirs has never had a cover and been left outside.

But yeah, they clean up from dirt/grease without much effort. Scratches would be abuse, however, not Weber cheapening out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
The plastic tables are prone to getting cracks in them so be careful how you move the grill around and what you stack on it.  Part of the problem is that there is a lack of support under the front lip of the table.  This is typically one of the first places you'll see a crack develop...right in the center as the lip curves down.
As far as cleaning them, I've had very good luck with an SOS pad and Simple Green added if its really bad.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:28:05 PM »
The other problem is that the polymer used in the table surface is not very good. It get's extremely brittle over time and is very porous so it asorbs gunk way too easily. A scrubbing and grease remover may help but it will never come back 100%
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
The other problem is that the polymer used in the table surface is not very good. It get's extremely brittle over time and is very porous so it asorbs gunk way too easily. A scrubbing and grease remover may help but it will never come back 100%
I don't know about that. We just had a discussion on what to clean the table with. A few people mentioned Magic Erasers, so I went and got a few. My table came back 100%. Awesome product.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:23 PM »
I don't know about that. We just had a discussion on what to clean the table with. A few people mentioned Magic Erasers, so I went and got a few. My table came back 100%. Awesome product.

ooooh, do you have before and after pics?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't take before and afters unfortunately. I just got the Performer at Christmas though. I spill a lot of stuff, but if your table was at a whole different level maybe the results won't be the same. I was amazed though. I tried the spray glass cleaner, some degreasing spray and some other scouring pad kind of deals with not much success.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:06:28 PM by AZ Monsoon »