Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Opportunism in St Louis  (Read 578 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Opportunism in St Louis
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:38:27 AM »
I probably should just ignore this, but obviously I'm not.

Mr. Seller, you're obviously out there, so this note's for you.

Perhaps elsewhere "we" commonly call them graybeards, but make no mistake: There is no "debate" about the existence of gray kettles, only the occasional question if what someone saw is gray or not. See the difference? Speaking of which, if you were invested enough in what you have to offer, you might have had the foresight to take the time and energy to ASK about this kettle before attempting to profit handsomely at our expense.

Why? Because it's not gray, that's why. It's faded black, even though "the paint is the same color underneath the bowl and inside the leg sockets" I know, weird, right? Here's the deal: Porcelain enameled paint is not affected by UV rays. Google is your friend. Color pigments can and obviously do change for other reasons.

Please understand, we appreciate you Dumpster diving for treasures down there in Arnold. We see the listings for $40 old black kettles. That's really cool that someone would take the time and effort to list them and offer them back into service. Truly, there's respect deserved there! That said, a modicum of research would have revealed that around here, $225 (maybe less!) would buy a legit gray that's not only complete but UNDENTED. Holy hell. Got a rubber mallet in that scrapyard?

"Vintage collectible 22.5 inch Weber Kettle ..(yes people do collect them) weberkettleclub.com..... bbq-brethren.com..... tvwbb.com
RARE Gray (Grey) color....22.5"....I believe they call them "graybeards"...on the Weber kettle forums there is debate about whether many this color are just faded black...but it is confirmed that they made this color...and they are RARE......this one appears to be made this color...the paint is the same color underneath the bowl and inside the leg sockets....sun fading would likely make the top lighter than underneath the bowl and the paint inside leg sockets would be black...the handles on side are metal which I believe dates it...I have found pics of ones exactly like it and they say 1960's........ dented, but if you're an enthusiast , you know how to rehab it...Thanks for looking! ......
$225
Call/text/email"

"I never use toothpicks or strings on my turds!" ---MikeRocksTheRed

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Opportunism in St Louis
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 06:53:13 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke Thank you for the post, the guy is obviously a moron or out to dupe an unsuspecting buyer.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 07:08:37 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke Thank you for the post, the guy is obviously a moron or out to dupe an unsuspecting buyer.

That's a bit harsher than I intended, which is why I went with "opportunism" rather than scammer os some such.

I really don't care what his motives are, because they don't matter in my opinion. I merely provide "a service" should he ever be interested enough to learn it.

As for the rest of us, well, we already know.
"I never use toothpicks or strings on my turds!" ---MikeRocksTheRed

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 07:28:40 AM »
Hilarious. I guess you canít blame a guy for trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
All I can say is wow. Iím glad took the time to read this post . !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
Weíve only ourselves to blame for this

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Backwoods Gater, Big Drum Smoker clones, Big Green Eggs, Cookshack 008, Weber Smokey Mountains, Genesis Silver C, Performer T n' Go w/Cajun Bandit conversion/Stacker/EZ-Que/Rib-O-Lator, Q120/200, Mini Cajun Bandit Smoker Joe, Vintage 26" kettle, Little Chief Smokehouse, Lodge Hibachi, La Caja China

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
Weíve only ourselves to blame for this

Why is that?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
4 MBH, Mini Ranch, and a SCG, Pellet Pooper and other stuff.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
Holy shit! Look at the patina on that graybeard!!! Thatís gotta be a Ď74, right??

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grails ISO: Red SJ & a Yachtsman (18" yellow). Also looking for Plum and Brownie 18's.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
I'll offer him one-seventy-five.  If he bites, I'll explain where the decimal point goes. 
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »
Whatís a decimal? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Copper Mist 26er AKA "The Chief"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Ranger