Weber Kettle Club Forums

What's Going On => Website Issues & Suggestions => Topic started by: Troy on March 20, 2014, 10:17:14 PM

Title: So what's next?
Post by: Troy on March 20, 2014, 10:17:14 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm working on an update that explains all of the things that the WKC team has planned for this year.

We've already accomplished quite a bit.
Lawrence and Hank and Marty have been busting butt with regular blog posts and guides.
Check them out on the homepage.

Jeff and Terry and Marty have all done a TON of work putting together the galleries.
Craig has been working on a new and improved weber history document.

MEGA thanks to all of these guys for making the WKC awesome!!!

SO now i ask you - What can we do to make the site BETTER?
How can we improve? What does the site need?

If we like your idea enough, we'll send you some WKC shwag!
Title: Re: So what's next?
Post by: 1buckie on March 21, 2014, 12:15:14 AM

Yes, very much a  thank you   to these fine fellows !!!!!

One thing that may help ( and I don't know enough computer-ese to understand how ) is if the search function was just a bit more expansive......won't take a single letter & sometimes takes a word as a clip of a longer word.....that may help in finding info that's not Stickied ( Good deal on those items that are Stickied, BTW !!!)

This is a grand place with a grand idea at it's core !!!!

Post by: Hogsy on March 21, 2014, 01:31:34 AM
Being able to post YouTube videos rather than just a link would be great
Post by: Troy on March 21, 2014, 12:29:06 PM

One thing that may help ( and I don't know enough computer-ese to understand how ) is if the search function was just a bit more expansive......won't take a single letter & sometimes takes a word as a clip of a longer word.....that may help in finding info that's not Stickied ( Good deal on those items that are Stickied, BTW !!!)

Thanks!
Can you provide a few search examples that could be improved?
Post by: Troy on March 21, 2014, 12:30:03 PM
Being able to post YouTube videos rather than just a link would be great

I looked into the youtube thing once before and it poses a security risk.
However I'll look again - maybe it's something that we can open up to premium members or something.
Post by: MartyG on March 21, 2014, 12:35:57 PM
Videos from OZ are more than a security risk - there are morality issues to consider.  :o ;)
Post by: Troy on March 21, 2014, 12:36:16 PM
Videos from OZ are more than a security risk - there are morality issues to consider.  :o ;)

LOL
Post by: 1buckie on March 21, 2014, 01:10:35 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll see if I can figure a good way to describe things as I come up against them !!!!
Post by: pbe gummi bear on March 21, 2014, 03:07:26 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm working on an update that explains all of the things that the WKC team has planned for this year.

We've already accomplished quite a bit.
Lawrence and Hank and Marty have been busting butt with regular blog posts and guides.
Check them out on the homepage.

Jeff and Terry and Marty have all done a TON of work putting together the galleries.
Craig has been working on a new and improved weber history document.

MEGA thanks to all of these guys for making the WKC awesome!!!

If we like your idea enough, we'll send you some WKC shwag!

More kamados?  :-X

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1979532_10100243577086368_340354299_n.jpg)
Post by: Heyjude on March 21, 2014, 08:07:53 PM
Less pictures of Gummi and more of Buckie! Lol..
Really, a Kamado, you should be ashamed..  8)
Post by: MaxBobcat on March 23, 2014, 10:53:24 AM
Anyway to make it so that the "$" sign in subject titles won't break the link when you try to post a link to the thread?
Post by: Bman on March 23, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
I can be a PITA at times and I realize this.  I'm still baffled by the food pr0n being all lumped into one.  Here's my $.02
Before, there were the different catagories for recipes - beef, pork, chicken, dessert, etc...
How often do you look for a recipe compared to seeing a pr0n post and thinking "I can make that"?
What I'd rather see, is the pr0n broken down into catagories - beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc...
That way when someone feels like making beef - they don't have to wade through a ton of pr0n threads looking for a beef thread.

The recipe section is fine as there's only 107 topics.  But the Grilling & BBQ'ing is pretty much just another pr0n section and not much 'technique' talk.
Post by: 1buckie on March 23, 2014, 05:39:11 PM

Agreed to a large extent.....

I try to put the sequenced things into "Grilling & BBQ"

and if it just comes out with juice dripping all over the place, that goes in "PRON"

Some folks have a great cook, end up in "Pron" & list the recipe too.......

Kind of a tough problem, that sort of interlocks with things I'm thinking about with the search function.......if it was slightly more involved, then maybe those step-by-steps & recipes could be delivered that way?

Maybe we could start a PITA club, as sort of a sub-culture?

Gotta go......about to put up a pie in "Recipes".....I think..............
Post by: Troy on March 23, 2014, 06:51:40 PM
I can be a PITA at times and I realize this.  I'm still baffled by the food pr0n being all lumped into one.  Here's my $.02
Before, there were the different catagories for recipes - beef, pork, chicken, dessert, etc...
How often do you look for a recipe compared to seeing a pr0n post and thinking "I can make that"?
What I'd rather see, is the pr0n broken down into catagories - beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc...
That way when someone feels like making beef - they don't have to wade through a ton of pr0n threads looking for a beef thread.

The recipe section is fine as there's only 107 topics.  But the Grilling & BBQ'ing is pretty much just another pr0n section and not much 'technique' talk.

totally agree, there needs to be some changes in that area for sure.
Post by: Troy on March 23, 2014, 06:53:35 PM
Anyway to make it so that the "$" sign in subject titles won't break the link when you try to post a link to the thread?

YES!
this has been on a post-it note stuck to my whiteboard for a while now!
I'm glad i'm not the only one who has noticed!!
Post by: Golly on March 24, 2014, 11:08:22 AM
i would like the latest topics to appear on my mobile devices just like my desktop
Post by: 1buckie on March 24, 2014, 05:22:47 PM

THE FRONT PAGE LOOKS GRATE !!!!!!!!!!!    
Post by: SlickedBack on March 24, 2014, 05:52:45 PM
Golly... I don't know how it does it but when I go to the tapa-talk app on my iPhone it shows "unread topics" and by space Alien technologies and magic, the unread topics show up.
My 16 year old daughter, who is in Scotland for a week set it up for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Jocool on March 24, 2014, 07:14:45 PM
i would like the latest topics to appear on my mobile devices just like my desktop

Get with the times and DL Tapa on your phone you luddite!
Post by: Golly on March 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM
maybe i need to rephrase it

recent forum posts

does that come up with tapatalk?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on March 25, 2014, 11:26:16 AM
I would like a more advanced search to search thread titles, date range, etc.
Post by: 1buckie on March 25, 2014, 11:38:46 AM

That would most likely solve any futzing around that I would mention........

Just don't know how hard it is to change over something like that?
Post by: pbe gummi bear on March 25, 2014, 12:05:49 PM

That would most likely solve any futzing around that I would mention........

Just don't know how hard it is to change over something like that?

my workaround is searching in google with "SEARCH TERM site:weberkettleclub.com" I also pop into the images google search to find the pics i am in search of.
Post by: SlickedBack on March 25, 2014, 01:14:41 PM
The tapatalk thing lets me do all the stuff the big computing box on the desk lets me do.
Tap it in taaaap it in tap tap tap-a-roo! Tapa-talk.

Post by: pbe gummi bear on March 25, 2014, 01:16:24 PM
The tapatalk thing lets me do all the stuff the big computing box on the desk lets me do.
Tap it in taaaap it in tap tap tap-a-roo! Tapa-talk.

Happy Gilmore! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-br7JKuaZHQ
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on April 10, 2014, 04:59:11 PM

One thing I miss is the ability turn text into a flickable link. The forum's current "insert hyperlink" is rather pointless, as it already automatically turns text beginning with http:// into a clickable link, right? And more maddeningly, if the Insert Hyperlink button is used on normal text does nothing useful.

So, here's what I'm referring to:

1) type text
2) highlight that text
3) click the forum's "add a hyperlink" button
4) a window pops up and you PASTE your URL into it
5) the result is a clickable link for the text you typed
Post by: Troy on April 11, 2014, 09:42:11 AM

One thing I miss is the ability turn text into a flickable link. The forum's current "insert hyperlink" is rather pointless, as it already automatically turns text beginning with http:// into a clickable link, right? And more maddeningly, if the Insert Hyperlink button is used on normal text does nothing useful.

So, here's what I'm referring to:

1) type text
2) highlight that text
3) click the forum's "add a hyperlink" button
4) a window pops up and you PASTE your URL into it
5) the result is a clickable link for the text you typed

i've noticed the same, bugs me as well!
I think the next software will handle it better :)
Post by: pbe gummi bear on April 11, 2014, 04:31:52 PM
How about more women on WKC?
Post by: Bman on April 12, 2014, 09:52:09 AM

YES!
this has been on a post-it note stuck to my whiteboard for a while now!
I'm glad i'm not the only one who has noticed!!

Add me to the list.
I just attempted to post a link which contained the "$" sign and it totally effed up the link. 
Post by: 1buckie on April 18, 2014, 07:30:06 PM
Hey Troy......

here's a situation I told you I would look for whilst doing searches:

I search for "Yak Penis" to try to find a previous thread where people were disscussing strange things they've had for dinner & I get one Yakima, one Yak (not the right one), one kayak, a bunch of yakitoris & a bunch of teppanyakis.......

two different tries.....................

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/search2/?params=eJwtzUsKgDAMBNCriBs3WVh_d3FVahrwU63Eqgg9vKm4y7wZiLGX2ZBsLGIZ8zhwuipQHdTQgALVQgeqkeoY_a3Rr7ujQDJKdA4zYdB-c88vnoO2E0uydOAvkpgcfZ8SkWEcBXuzZC99RS9B;start=0

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/search2/

Post by: jcnaz on April 18, 2014, 08:18:56 PM
Hey Troy......

here's a situation I told you I would look for whilst doing searches:

I search for "Yak Penis" to try to find a previous thread where people were disscussing strange things they've had for dinner & I get one Yakima, one Yak (not the right one), one kayak, a bunch of yakitoris & a bunch of teppanyakis.......

two different tries.....................

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/search2/?params=eJwtzUsKgDAMBNCriBs3WVh_d3FVahrwU63Eqgg9vKm4y7wZiLGX2ZBsLGIZ8zhwuipQHdTQgALVQgeqkeoY_a3Rr7ujQDJKdA4zYdB-c88vnoO2E0uydOAvkpgcfZ8SkWEcBXuzZC99RS9B;start=0

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/search2/

Please help Ken find his...oh never mind.

:P
Post by: pbe gummi bear on April 18, 2014, 09:04:34 PM
I found your pizzle.

Strangest for me.... Rocky mountain oysters, lamb fries and calamari..

How come people eat bulls balls, but you never hear of anyone eating cows vagina?  Craig did you ever eat cow vagina?

Brian, that's the same resonse you came up with last time we had this conversation.......so......I guess I'll just dish up the same response also............

Hey, Brian, how 'bout some wonderfully garnished Yak Penis?

(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Screen-shot-2011-03-09-at-2_23_26-AM.png)
Post by: 1buckie on April 18, 2014, 09:11:14 PM
I found your pizzle.

Strangest for me.... Rocky mountain oysters, lamb fries and calamari..

How come people eat bulls balls, but you never hear of anyone eating cows vagina?  Craig did you ever eat cow vagina?

Brian, that's the same resonse you came up with last time we had this conversation.......so......I guess I'll just dish up the same response also............

Hey, Brian, how 'bout some wonderfully garnished Yak Penis?

(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Screen-shot-2011-03-09-at-2_23_26-AM.png)

Yeah, but I was looking for the previous one......that's different................. 8)
Post by: Hogsy on April 22, 2014, 03:12:51 AM
Is there anyway of accessing topics you have started or other people?
I know you can search through your own or others posts but this can be quite tedious
If there was a way to access topics through a members stats it could be another tool for searching
A lot of the time I'll remember who started a topic but can't remember the title or you find yourself searching through pages of threads that contain the same keywords as the thread your looking for
Post by: Bman on June 01, 2014, 10:39:36 AM

{snip} takes a word as a clip of a longer word..... {snip}

I did a search for "fuse" looking for examples of the set-up to pass along to a forum member.
I had threads for confused     infused    refused     difuser   etc
Post by: 1buckie on June 01, 2014, 12:24:08 PM

I did a search for "fuse" looking for examples of the set-up to pass along to a forum member.

Yeah, I been confused & refused by the infused  difuser before too................ :o
Post by: MacEggs on June 01, 2014, 12:44:50 PM

Try "snake".
Post by: 1buckie on June 01, 2014, 12:58:20 PM

Try "snake".

That's grate, Mark......but  I don't want the SEARCH to snake off in some other odd direction......point of this is the search picks up some strange stuff............
Post by: Troy on June 01, 2014, 12:59:30 PM
Wrap single word searches in quotes. That should help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Post by: Bman on June 01, 2014, 01:12:15 PM
Try "snake".

I did that also, but it leaves out any thread where people refer to it as a fuse.

......but  I don't want the SEARCH to snake off in some other odd direction......point of this is the search picks up some strange stuff............

Speaking of....  The "snake" search turned up the snake penis posts again. 

Had no idea.  Ironically enough, my post in this thread even typed "fuse" without knowing THAT was all I needed to do int he search.  lol
Thanks for the tip.
Post by: MacEggs on June 01, 2014, 07:24:20 PM
Try this ....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/fuse-snake-lasted-11-plus-hours/
Post by: Bman on June 01, 2014, 08:06:52 PM
Yes, that is one of the threads I used as an example.  I wouldn't classify it as a picture-perfect example as next to no one has/uses an expanded metal ring to build their snake/fuse around.  Especially not someone just getting started.  Which comes full circle to the amount of threads I was wading through while doing a search for fuse instead of "fuse" while looking for set-up examples.
Post by: Troy on June 01, 2014, 09:45:30 PM
at one point, gummi sent me a list of all the fuse / snake threads he could find.
i was writing this post (http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/) and wanted some examples.

I can't find the list though :\
Post by: pbe gummi bear on June 01, 2014, 10:19:24 PM
at one point, gummi sent me a list of all the fuse / snake threads he could find.
i was writing this post (http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2013/11/05/smoking-on-a-weber-kettle/) and wanted some examples.

I can't find the list though :\

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/what-post-best-describes-the-snake-method/ has alot of good links to last year's snake posts. There are probably new ones though.
Post by: 1buckie on June 02, 2014, 02:29:47 AM
These are several of mine I can recall quickly, Hank's "What Best Describes?"  is a good one
Ok what's in kettle #3............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/re-print-ok-what's-in-kettle-3/msg35831/?topicseen#msg35831

It's peaceful at night............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-it's-peaceful-at-night/msg7811/#msg7811

OK, finally brisket............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-finally-brisket/msg72790/#msg72790

Something different..............(esp. this one)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

Here's other ones:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/first-time-snakeminion-method-criticism-welcome/msg33700/#msg33700

This was good, but we need to see if JC can replace the photos.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/first-picnic-shoulder-many-thanks-for-the-help!!/msg63878/#msg63878

Can find snakes & fuses, but the point is, I think we need a slightly more refineable search thing.....................

Post by: 1buckie on June 02, 2014, 02:33:05 AM

In looking for snakes & fuses, I found this:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-socket-repair/msg15802/#msg15802

FinkFarm's Socket Repair.......needs to go in technical reference
Post by: Bman on June 08, 2014, 07:45:53 AM

It did not.  Did a search for STOK today and it turned up a ton of stoked results.  I searched for "STOK" and got the same exact results.
Guess it's just something Buckie and I will have to deal with.  Yup, first world problems.  lol
Post by: Troy on June 08, 2014, 08:56:39 PM

It did not.  Did a search for STOK today and it turned up a ton of stoked results.  I searched for "STOK" and got the same exact results.
Guess it's just something Buckie and I will have to deal with.  Yup, first world problems.  lol

damn. i tried to tweak it and find work arounds - but the search just sucks :(

I would advise using google with the site: command.
go to google, search for site:weberkettleclub.com STOK and you'll get some pretty good results :)
Post by: AnakiMana on June 09, 2014, 03:16:37 AM
How about a wiki, since there's so much trivia that's hard to keep track of. For those who don't know what a wiki is, think of an encyclopedia that everyone can contribute to, and each page has a discussion page to it so people can collaborate with new info, debate, etc.

So, for instance, if I wanted to know what years the Westerner was produced, I could type it into the wiki search instead of trying to search the forum or ask in the forums when I'm sure it's been discussed *somewhere* before.

You could search the wiki for Weber part numbers to see references such as 'this was discontinued and replaced with this part number, which introduced this improvement' or restoration subjects like grate rust removal methods.

This would be especially awesome for the rare stuff, like the Wishing Well or Barrel Bar-B-Q.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Post by: AJ328 on July 07, 2014, 05:56:11 PM
So I know I'm a new guy here and should probably but out and dry out behind the ears before I go making "suggestions," but I have to second an earlier suggestion about the topics. I think dividing up recipes by Beef, chicken, pork, lamb, fish, dessert, etc, then have a different section for "tips and techniques" and then "Pron" for just the stuff that looks amazing.

I think this would greatly enhance the utility of the site.  :)
Post by: 1buckie on July 07, 2014, 06:41:36 PM

It actually was originally set up like this:

"recipes by Beef, chicken, pork, lamb, fish, dessert, etc," & some of the sections got very little traffic.....at this point with more people, it might be different.......any input from anyone is always welcome, maybe esp. 'new guys' !!!!!
Post by: Shreveporter on July 08, 2014, 04:05:10 AM
Too new to give helpful feedback.  But just wanted to thank all the contributors and let you know how meaningful this site is for newbies.  A big thank you for all your hard work, time and dedication to sharing your knowledge.