Weber Kettle Club Forums

What's Going On => Meetups & Events => Topic started by: MartyG on August 17, 2012, 02:54:45 AM

Title: Chicago-area WKC Meet-up?
Post by: MartyG on August 17, 2012, 02:54:45 AM
This idea started in another thread, but I thought I would bring it into the open as it appears there's some interest. There's a Weber Grill restaurant near the loop in Chicago, and I thought it would be fun to meet the local WKC members for some good food sometime soonish. Kind of an official regional meeting if you will, not that there is or will ever be such a thing. Anyway, looks like we have three or four so far. Any others? Who knows, maybe we can get a special tour. I'll even let Weber corporate know what we're planning. Might make their newsletter. Maybe they'll make us our own limited edition 26" kettle! (OK, now I've gone too far...)

Who's in?

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3263/2537106210_8a1efd4c27.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26310220@N06/2537106210/)
 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26310220@N06/2537106210/)
Title: Re: Chicago-area WKC Meet-up?
Post by: Jeff on August 17, 2012, 04:11:19 AM
another option that Ive have talked about at the other site was having some of the Chicago folks over to my house (and anyone else that wants to make the drive).  I would be happy to meet you guys and host and get a bunch of the grills going.   Its been a hecktic and surprising year for me, but I'd like to make the time to do this if enough of you would be interested.  Fall is quickly coming.   I have a big firepit that I can have a fire too if its cooler, and have a set of bags to keep busy with too.   Does that interest anyone?  Im in the town of West Chicago nearby to Naperville.
Post by: MartyG on August 17, 2012, 04:32:35 AM
That would be great Jeff! Are you near a train-line? (I have no car here in Chicago, but I'll find a way) I travel quite a bit, so I'll have to hope the stars align when you come up with a date.

Marty
Post by: landgraftj on August 17, 2012, 11:33:44 AM
I'm really busy also but if you come up with a date that's open for me I'd be interested in coming. If not, maybe next time!
Post by: Troy on August 17, 2012, 11:35:49 AM
the weber grill in schaumberg might be easier for everyone? (or just me?)
Post by: bamboleo on August 17, 2012, 12:57:08 PM
I'll be staying next store to the Weber Grill Sept. 19-22 for our yearly show for work.  Let me know if anyone interested....p.s. dive bar down the street (Snickers) has some pretty good looking eastern euro babes behind the counter  ;)
Post by: MartyG on August 17, 2012, 04:47:32 PM
Shaumberg is a possibility, but would involve a train to Medinah and a cab to the Grill. Not impossible though. Any chance we can do Friday, Sept 21 at the State Street location in the loop to match up with bamboleo's trip? Not that interested in the dive bar part (too many nights in places like that in another life as a drummer) but meeting up with some of the group here would be fun. Maybe Shaumberg could be the next location?

Marty
Post by: bama bbq on August 17, 2012, 05:01:51 PM
Gonna have to miss this trip fellas.  Per mapquest it's 589 miles - about 9 hours 39 minutes drive for me.  Have fun!  Everyone order something different and try it all! ...and take photos to post!
Post by: landgraftj on August 17, 2012, 05:42:11 PM
Too bad you don't have a car Marty, there's a Weber grill in Lombard too. Much closer for me than Schaumberg.  I think the Chicago one is closer too.
Post by: MartyG on August 17, 2012, 06:23:45 PM
I'm not opposed to renting a car (I occasional need one for other things) and meet at any one of the locations. Let's see who's in and take it from there. I'm thinking downtown for the first one, but would love to make it around to the other places eventually.
Post by: zavod44 on August 19, 2012, 06:55:38 AM
We could shoot for the Sept date to link up with bamboleo's trip...it might be a possibility.  Maybe some of us could carpool in Troy could meet me here and we could get Jeff on the way...I don't know where anyone else is on our journey

Brian
Post by: reillyranch on August 28, 2012, 06:57:23 PM
Hey guys, I am in Atlanta, Ga but would certainly make every effort to make it.  I could pick up some kettle heads on the way, just want to keep some room for the kettle collection I would bring along.  I will check my schedule and see if it's a go.  Is it still set for 9-21-12?
Post by: MartyG on August 29, 2012, 01:32:33 AM
Still on for the 21st at this point. I'm heading off for a week of vacation next week, but when I'm back I'll lock in the time and place. Likely the Loop location on State this time, but we'll find our way to the others in the future.

Stay tuned.
Title: LAST CALL! Chicago-area WKC Meet-up!
Post by: MartyG on September 12, 2012, 03:02:34 AM
Who's in for Friday the 21st? How does 5:30 or 6 downtown sound? (I can be there around 5) Once I have a count I'll contact Weber and let 'em know there are some real fans on the way, and they better pull out all the stops.

Marty
Post by: Jeff on September 12, 2012, 04:07:50 AM
Turns out I am going to be out of town still for work on that Friday evening.  Im not gonna be able to make this one guys.  I'll shoot for the next date, sorry.
Post by: Troy on September 12, 2012, 06:42:58 AM
I don't think I can get downtown on that friday. I have a presentation that afternoon that will likely run a bit past 5pm, and I promised my daughter that I'd take her fishing early saturday morning.

If it was in schaumberg it'd be more do-able.
Post by: landgraftj on September 12, 2012, 07:12:20 AM
Not sure if I'll be around either, may be going down to U of I for the football game that weekend. If I'm home I'll be there. I'll let you know asap.
Post by: MartyG on September 18, 2012, 12:44:35 PM
Given the response, will have to re-set for another time and location in the future. Maybe an OctoWeberFest is in order. (Now THAT would make a great T-shirt!) Stay tuned.

Marty
Post by: zavod44 on September 18, 2012, 04:20:52 PM
I'm up for that too.  Maybe Troy was right, we might need to move it to Schaumburg,  a bit more central location?

Brian
Post by: Troy on September 18, 2012, 04:59:53 PM
is anyone in the burbs willing to entertain?

I can supply pulled pork ;)
Post by: Duke on September 19, 2012, 06:09:48 AM
is anyone in the burbs willing to entertain?

I can supply pulled pork ;)
So can Brian. You two pulling your pork should be entertainment enough! ;D
Post by: zavod44 on September 19, 2012, 09:48:17 PM
Duke you coming in for a get together at Mesa Azul?

Brian
Post by: Duke on September 20, 2012, 03:39:12 AM
Duke you coming in for a get together at Mesa Azul?

Brian
That would be fun, I can't get away at all right now as much as I would like to fly out there and hang out with you guys. I could really use some time away too

Possibly next summer. I know my wife wants to go somewhere. :)