Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: WeberSwede on November 19, 2020, 09:41:52 PM

Title: Weber Cold Smoke Generator....
Post by: WeberSwede on November 19, 2020, 09:41:52 PM
Good morning all you Weber-'ists out there,

Personally - I am in a state of irritation. I bought https://www.weber.com/SE/sv/tillbeh%C3%B6r/vid-grillen/r%C3%B6ktr%C3%A4--plankor-och-tillbeh%C3%B6r/17636.html?cgid=1342#start=1 (the Weber Cold smoke generator) last year - I thought it would be easier to cold smoke than to warm smoke. Oh, how wrong I was.

Putting it frankly - I find the cold smoke generator being a major pain to operate....

1. Lighting it - well, I found that pretty much the only thing that makes it fire up, is to use a handheld gas burner of medium size which originally is intended for "burning sugar" on a dessert where the top layer is to be a sugar crust.
Not sure what you call that "burner" thingie so, I do it the way an old boss from South Africa told me - "if you don't know the word, explain it". :) Hope it gives you the idea of the size and type.

2. smoke - well, with Weber Beech Smoke dust, I do get a VERY thin, almost invisible smoke, and it's not a lot either. I expect more. If I try to use a more coarse type of "dust", it won't burn. I did try to manually grind the more coarse dust. That worked, but, it's pain in the neck to grind it twice to get the appropriate size and amount....

3. flavour - not much at all I would say. Especially not with only "Weber Beech Dust". A bit better when I mixed in the hand grinded dust being Pecan but... I really want more smoke flavour.

So - if anyone have any ideas/tricks on this and how to get the Weber cold smoke generator to perform up to the usual Weber standards, I'd be really happy to listen and learn

Cheers,
WeberSwede
Title: Re: Weber Cold Smoke Generator....
Post by: Transit98 on November 20, 2020, 03:23:54 AM
I would love to hear some info also - in the States I could not buy the Weber one you have so I got the square one with the same zig zag channels - Mine came with wood pellets rather than sawdust.

I haven’t tried it yet but planned on doing Smoked Salmon

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: rc on November 20, 2020, 04:03:05 AM
@WeberSwede there are three factors to cold smoking: 1. What are you cold smoking? 2: how long are you cold smoking it for?  3: the type of wood your using. The reason I say this is that cold smoking a cured ham will take longer than cold smoking salmon obviously due to the thickness of the cut of meat and how smokey of a flavor you want.

I live in the states where I cannot get my hands on a Weber cold smoker but I have cold smoked cured cuts of pork and salmon to make nova lox. I’ve used pellet tubes and a wood dust burner off of Amazon. The pellet tubes burn a lot faster and give off a lot more smoke but need to be refilled more often and is my preferred method. However the dust burner lasts longer and gives off light wisps of smoke. This means smoking time will be a bit longer. Using my dust burner I’ve cold smoked a fillet of salmon for a little over 15 hours using alder wood dust (similar smoke profile to the beech wood) and the smoke flavor was prominent but not super smokey.

Oh, and if your smoking on a kettle try playing around with your ventilation. Try opening the bottom vents half way or even all the way and your top vent 1/4 of the way. This will help you trap more smoke in the kettle. In the end it’s all an experiment! Lol

Again, what you smoke, the type of wood, and the duration of your cold smoke will determine the potency of smoke flavor in your meat. Hope this helped and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: AZ2FL on November 20, 2020, 04:05:56 AM
I would suggest using wood pellets and light them with a small torch.

I use an A-Maze-N with premium wood pellets to cold smoke cheese, bacon and sausage.

https://amazenproducts.com/smokers/6x6-maze-rgb/

Post by: pbe gummi bear on November 20, 2020, 09:56:40 AM
cold smoking with wood dust is not worth the hassle. the dust is expensive, hard to find, and burns finicky. You'll get much better results with a pellet based cold smoker.
Post by: Krawtschenko on November 23, 2020, 07:11:37 AM
It looks like you could just add pellets to that. I also use an Amazin tube. Works great cold or added to a hot smoke to get more smoke in a short amount of time.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: WeberSwede on November 30, 2020, 09:41:44 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for the comments and tips.

So, let me see if I got this straight:

1. If I am to stick with dust type, I am to expect that the smoke amount will be smaller, and instead focus on duration in the smoker.
2. The thicker  thing to cold smoke - the longer the time. (Makes complete sense btw...:) )
3. Seems I will remain having the "start the burn" issue - which is a pitty.
4. And - no news on how to fine grind coarse dust, so that it actually can burn (and I can get different smoke flavour types...

Ah well, something is better than nothing. :)

Cheers,
WeberSwede