Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: hansonb4 on September 24, 2020, 03:15:15 AM

Title: Any BBQ Sauce Recipes?
Post by: hansonb4 on September 24, 2020, 03:15:15 AM
Good morning, friends.

Always nice to log in in the morning and check this website for the latest and greatest. I sit here with my cup of coffee, look at the food that people made the night before and use those as inspiration for my supermarket run during my lunch break. With that beings said, I am looking for a homemade BBQ sauce recipe that isn't too complicated, isn't too vinegary and isn't overly sweet. I would say "tangy" is what I am looking for, a KC style, not a Carolina vinegar or mustardy style. Anyone have a good one to share? I have Chef John's pinned somewhere but I haven't made it. I also have the following which, after simmering, had a strong vinegar taste to it. Any suggestions are welcome.

- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Thanks, Bob / hansonb4
Title: Re: Any BBQ Sauce Recipes?
Post by: Stoneage on September 24, 2020, 07:06:52 AM
I have two here, one more complex than the other.
Pork shoulders, or Pork loins. I do mine in three steps: marinade, dry rub, and then barbecue sauce.
Here is the marinade:
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 10 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 scallions chopped
* 3 tablespoons sherry (or brandy)
* 2 tablespoons roasted sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Here is the dry rub:
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
Here is the barbecue (dipping sauce):
* 1 cup ketchup
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 Tablespoons roasted sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons paprika
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
(Chaz option)
1 tsp grainy mustard
3 tbsp mole asses!
 1 tsp ginger.
Obviously you marinade the ribs or any meat for at least 12 hours. Then drip dry. Then apply dry rub.
I use hickory wood, apple wood, and any fruit-wood. I built a smoker. I use wood fires only. I smoke 'em low heat. (Start at 150~160F by my thermometer and move it up to 180F to finish for the last hour) As you all know, you just need to get the internal temperature to 165 and checked with a good meat thermometer. Usually "all day" is what shooting for in smoking time. Around 12 hours. Pan of water inside to help keep moist. I like Apple juice on mine put some in a little pump spray & use regularly but sparingly, you don't want to wash off the dry rub, just moisten it so the smoke “sticks to it! BBQ sauce for the last hour, cooked on not just for dipping so the last hour I baste with the barbecue sauce nice and This will knock your socks off. I still think the wood fire---apple wood is my hands-down favorite---is what separates amazing smoked/barbecued food from stuff that is good but not incredible.
After 5~6 hours wrap the meat in foil, leave the top re-openable for basting but close loosely right after each application.. 

Option 2, the Andy version.
BBQ Sauce
Cook
1 medium sweet onion chopped fine
in 1tbsp butter until transparent

then add

2 cups Heinz Catsup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp Lea & Perrins
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp red or green Tabasco

Cook until boiling and then tip into a foil loaf pan (don’t use a regular loaf pan unless you plan on throwing it out after) cover with aluminum foil and cut 5 or 6 one inch slits in the foil. Put in the smoker with the meat a couple of hours before the meat is done. Keep the wood chips going!

You can cook in the oven if you add 3/4 tsp of Liquid Smoke -- not as good, but sometimes you just can’t wait for smoking weather!

Country style ribs are usually cheap and cook up really nice. Try marinating them in the fridge for a day or so with
1pt water 1 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar (or molasses), 1 tsp garlic, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp hot sauce.

Good eatin!
Title: Re: Any BBQ Sauce Recipes?
Post by: hansonb4 on September 24, 2020, 11:23:07 AM
Sounds great. I will certainly five these some thought. The sauce sounds good
I have two here, one more complex than the other.
Pork shoulders, or Pork loins. I do mine in three steps: marinade, dry rub, and then barbecue sauce.
Here is the marinade:
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 10 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 scallions chopped
* 3 tablespoons sherry (or brandy)
* 2 tablespoons roasted sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Here is the dry rub:
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
Here is the barbecue (dipping sauce):
* 1 cup ketchup
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 Tablespoons roasted sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons paprika
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
(Chaz option)
1 tsp grainy mustard
3 tbsp mole asses!
 1 tsp ginger.
Obviously you marinade the ribs or any meat for at least 12 hours. Then drip dry. Then apply dry rub.
I use hickory wood, apple wood, and any fruit-wood. I built a smoker. I use wood fires only. I smoke 'em low heat. (Start at 150~160F by my thermometer and move it up to 180F to finish for the last hour) As you all know, you just need to get the internal temperature to 165 and checked with a good meat thermometer. Usually "all day" is what shooting for in smoking time. Around 12 hours. Pan of water inside to help keep moist. I like Apple juice on mine put some in a little pump spray & use regularly but sparingly, you don't want to wash off the dry rub, just moisten it so the smoke “sticks to it! BBQ sauce for the last hour, cooked on not just for dipping so the last hour I baste with the barbecue sauce nice and This will knock your socks off. I still think the wood fire---apple wood is my hands-down favorite---is what separates amazing smoked/barbecued food from stuff that is good but not incredible.
After 5~6 hours wrap the meat in foil, leave the top re-openable for basting but close loosely right after each application..

Option 2, the Andy version.
BBQ Sauce
Cook
1 medium sweet onion chopped fine
in 1tbsp butter until transparent

then add

2 cups Heinz Catsup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp Lea & Perrins
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp red or green Tabasco

Cook until boiling and then tip into a foil loaf pan (don’t use a regular loaf pan unless you plan on throwing it out after) cover with aluminum foil and cut 5 or 6 one inch slits in the foil. Put in the smoker with the meat a couple of hours before the meat is done. Keep the wood chips going!

You can cook in the oven if you add 3/4 tsp of Liquid Smoke -- not as good, but sometimes you just can’t wait for smoking weather!

Country style ribs are usually cheap and cook up really nice. Try marinating them in the fridge for a day or so with
1pt water 1 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup brown sugar (or molasses), 1 tsp garlic, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp hot sauce.

Good eatin!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)