Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: Lightning on September 13, 2020, 05:20:49 AM

Title: Master Chef (Canadian Tire) charcoal changes
Post by: Lightning on September 13, 2020, 05:20:49 AM
Some information that might be of interest to the other Canadians here:

I was at Canadian Tire last night picking up a few things and they had a little bit of charcoal in stock, maybe half a dozen bags each of Master Chef briquettes, Master Chef lump, and Maple Leaf lump.

Two of the Master Chef bags had torn and some briquettes had fallen out of one and the lump charcoal was visible in the other.  The briquettes were obviously Royal Oak briquettes and the lump was clearly Royal Oak lump charcoal so apparently sometime over the winter they changed OEMs from Maple Leaf who had been making the Master Chef charcoal for as long as I can remember.  So, if you're looking for either Royal Oak lump or briquettes, the Master Chef equivalent is fully substitutable because it's the same thing at the same price for lump charcoal and I picked one of those up while I was there.  However, the Master Chef briquettes are a ripoff at $14.99/bag for Master Chef vs. $9.99 for Royal Oak. Canadian Tire kept the pricing they had on the rebranded Maple Leaf briquettes which was a good deal for ML briquettes but the result now is that the store branded version of the Royal Oak briqs is now 50% more expensive than the actual name brand Royal Oak briquettes so avoid that if possible.
Title: Re: Master Chef (Canadian Tire) charcoal changes
Post by: Darko on September 16, 2020, 09:29:57 AM
I noticed the same thing. If you go to any of the Loblaws stores they have their no name briquettes for 9.98 which are Royal Oak.
Title: Re: Master Chef (Canadian Tire) charcoal changes
Post by: derosa98 on September 18, 2020, 04:32:30 PM
Here in Victoria...all stores are out of lump for the last 1.5 months...only the expensive lump can be found...Home Hardware always had ML....but nothing since early August....CT has nothing as well